Stepping masts on Revell Cutty Sark 1:96

Go to solution Solved by petervisser,

Posted (edited)

I am well along on my plastic Cutty and am presently assembling and pre-rigging the masts. I see that the mast bases are molded angled, apparently so that the mast is set at the correct angle, I read somewhere, about 85 degrees. The fore and mainmasts are ok, but it seems that the angle is excessive on the mizzenmast Like about 10 degrees from vertical to the aft. Are all these kits like this or just mine?. they also want to cant to port when dry fitted....I've been filing material off of base to make a correct fit, but have created a lot of looseness. I read that alot of you dont glue your masts but I dont see any way around it when the time comes. I plan to use a level and plumb bob and mount them 1 at a time and rig, then proceed to the next. Perhaps if I used wood glue, it would fill the gaps, yet allow for removal, if required. I am determined to get a s perfect alignment as possible as this has been a weak point for me on past builds. What do you guys think? Im open to all suggestions. Heres a very poor photo, but you may get the point. Thsnks

DSCF0027 - Shortcut (2).lnk

Edited by Lost and Confused
to remove download

12 hours ago, Lost and Confused said:

I've been filing material off of base to make a correct fit, but have created a lot of looseness

Looseness isn't necessarily a bad thing as you can shim front to back and side to side to get the desired alignment and angle. And as far as shim material you can use almost anything thin that won't break in half. I like using card stock. 

2 hours ago, Keith Black said:

Looseness isn't necessarily a bad thing as you can shim front to back and side to side to get the desired alignment and angle. And as far as shim material you can use almost anything thin that won't break in half. I like using card stock. 

You don't think the angle on the mizzen is excessive?

The mizzen was traditionally set at about 10 to 15 degrees whereas the main and fore were set at 4 to 7 degrees. Mast rake was set at the Captains discretion for what he deemed to bring about the best handling characteristics depending on weather and sea conditions. Your mizzen's rake doesn't look excessive. You can check the angle of the rake with a builders square and protractor. It's one of those operations where three hands would be beneficial. :)

• Solution
Posted (edited)

Hi Lost,

According to Mr. Longridge's Cutty Sark book, the masts all have a slightly different rake. Here is what his book shows...

Cheers,

Peter

IMG_2669.thumb.JPG.b49dfd442b0015ade90a659071a6f38d.JPG

Edited by petervisser

Build Log: Billing - Cutty Sark

In The Gallery: HMS Unicorn, HMAV Bounty, L'Etoile, Marie Jeanne, Lilla Dan, Zeeschouw "Irene"

A Toast: To a wind that blows, A ship that goes, And the lass that loved a sailor!

Peter, there's dockside rake and under sail rake. Once underway I doubt (I could be very wrong as I've been know to be very wrong in the past) that the main and fore remained at 15 degrees rake as 15 degrees is pretty excessive, IMHO. 

https://www.sailmagazine.com/cruising/what-mast-rake-is-all-about

And from our own braintrust....