Build Log Name Change

Go to solution Solved by ccoyle,

My build log's name was changed not by me but by someone within the MSW organization. I kind of don't care but then I kinda do. I wasn't asked, notified or told why. One day I logged in and saw the log name had been changed. I follow builds where I see those log names have also been changed.

It's been awhile since the name was changed for my build log but it's been gnawing at me so I thought I needed to ask. 

'Took a quick look on WIkipedia and found this:

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For other ships with the same name, see USS Tennessee.
USS Tennessee (1865)
USS Tennessee at Brooklyn Navy Yard in 1875, after her conversion to a gun-deck frigate
History
54px-Flag_of_the_United_States_%281877%EUnited States
Name Madawaska/Tennessee
Namesake
Launched 8 July 1865
Renamed USS Tennessee 15 May 1869
Fate Sold 15 September 1886
General characteristics
Class and type Wampanoag-class screw frigate
Tonnage 3,281 tons
Length 355 ft (108 m)
Beam 45 ft 2 in (13.77 m)
Draft 21 ft 8 in (6.60 m)
Propulsion
  • 2 × vibrating-lever engines (as built)
  • Compound back‑acting engines (as refitted)
Sail plan 10 principal sails = 22,500 sq ft (2,090 m2).
Complement 480
Armament
  • 2 × 8-inch (203-mm) rifles
  • 2 × 100-pounder (45.5-kg) guns
  • 1 × 60-pounder (27.2-kg) guns
  • 18 × 9-inch (229-mm) smooth bore guns

USS Tennessee, originally USS Madawaska, was a screw frigate built of wood at the New York Navy Yard in Brooklyn, New York, and launched as Madawaska on 8 July 1865. Powered by two Ericsson vibrating-lever engines, Madawaska departed New York City for sea trials 14 January 1867, Commander Francis A. Roe in command. Remaining at sea for one week, she steamed nearly 1,000 nautical miles (1,150 statute miles; 1,852 km) before returning when her supply of coal was exhausted.

300px-USS_Madawaska_%281865%29.jpg An illustration of USS Madawaska, showing the spar deck added to her in 1869.

She was renamed Tennessee 15 May 1869 and timbered up to the necessary height to allow a spar deck to be installed. She was fitted with new compound back‑acting engines capable of developing 3,200 horsepower (2,400 kW). She carried 380 tons of coal but was also rigged for sail, the area of her 10 principal sails being 22,500 square feet (2,090 m2).

Her duties included service as flagship of the Asiatic Squadron under Rear Admiral William Reynolds, with Captain William W. Low in command. By 1879 she was flagship of the North Atlantic Squadron under Rear Admiral Robert W. Wyman, with Captain David B. Harmony in command. On 15 February 1881 at New Orleans, Louisiana, Seaman George Low jumped overboard and rescued a fellow sailor from drowning, for which he was awarded the Medal of Honor.[1]

Completed builds:  Khufu Solar Barge - 1:72 Woody Joe

Current project(s): Gorch Fock restoration 1:100, Billing Wasa (bust) - 1:100 Billings, Great Harry (bust) 1:88 ex. Sergal 1:65

Posted (edited)

Johnny, I knew about the Madawaska's name being changed to the Tennessee before I started the build log. I did not to include Madawaska in the original build log title. That was added 6/8 weeks ago? I guess it's okay that it was but I think I should have had a say or at the very least notified. Just saying. 

In fact, see my post #634, page 22.

Edited by Keith Black

• Solution

Keith,

It was I who edited your build log title. I did this as part of an overhaul of all the build log titles on our site, to conform them to our site guidelines. The job took nearly two months to complete, as we have thousands of build logs here, so perhaps you can see why I didn't ask everyone whose logs were tidied up for permission to do so in advance. As for your log in particular, I added the information about Madawaska because the 1869 launch date for Tennessee isn't the original launch date for the ship itself -- personally, I think that little bit of extra info is interesting, but if you wish you may strike the last bit from the log title, or I can do it for you.

Kind regards,

Chris

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Salmson 2, Speeljacht

Chris, thank you for the comeback. The way you reworded the title is fine, I was curious as to the why of it, itch scratched. 

With the high amount of LOGs I can understand that Chris doesn´t have the time to give a feedback to all changed LOG titles but on the other hand, would it have been me I would have liked a short feedback on why the title was changed.

Especially when I made a mistake by naming the title in a name that doesn´t match the regulations. If the name change is, like in your particular case, because of some historical reasons I think a short feedback would be appreciated. Not sure if I should say that but that is just my humble thoughts on that.

Micha

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." Jacques - Yves Cousteau.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Current Build:

"Roar Ege" by Billing Boats - 1:25

On Hold:

n/a

Finished:

n/a