Golden Hind 1578 by kirill4 - Airfix - 1:72 - PLASTIC - conversion to 406 ton Elizabethan galleon in 1:100 scale

Hi all!
Dear friends ,
Finally, I got around to assembling another galleon kit in pair with its Spanish counterpart.
This time it will be an English, Elizabethan galleon based on the famous model of the English galleon Elizabeth Jonas 1598 https://collection.sciencemuseumgroup.org.uk/objects/co40957/elizabethan-galleon-elizabeth-jonas-model-representation
The donor will be a set from Airfix "Golden Hind 1578, 1:72". I changed the set scale to 1:100.
On this scale, the length along the keel will be
 23 cm (actually 23 meters),
maximum width 7.92 cm (actually 7.92 meters)
hold depth 4.7 cm (actually 4.7 meters)
With these dimensions the capacity would be 305 tons and total 405.6 tons (increased by 1/3).
For comparison, the dimensions of the Elizabeth Jonas galleon are 684/855 tons.
In the pictures, for the sake of interest, I indicated some overall dimensions and models 1:100 and on a scale of 1:1... in principle, on this scale, everything is easy to recalculate.
Another picture shows these two ships, a reconstruction of the Elizabeth Jonas (100 ft keel) and a set of plastic Golden Hind (76 ft keel) compared in real size, so to speak.
On a sheet of paper, for convenience, I made a drawing by hand, on a scale of 1:100; in the drawing, the body of the model with the changes already made:
*beackhead lowered by approximately 7 mm
*stern railing reduced in height
*small changes in the location of the wales in the bow
*added gun ports
*out of interest, I showed the approximate location of the decks, what it might look like, based on the developments of Peter Kirsch and a drawing from a book unknown to me/a fragment posted by one of our colleagues.
*extended the quarterdeck deck with the bulkhead moved
*showed the location of the masts - a Bonaventure mast was added...
In principle, the main overall dimensions are determined. The silhouette of the hull of this set looks too high, with an inter-deck distance of almost 2 meters, which could hardly be the case in reality. I will not make any fundamental changes to the geometry of the hull, so the model will be purely for interior with no claims to historical authenticity.
Nevertheless, I will try to depict all the little details of the deck armament, spar, and rigging in as much detail as I can manage.

ElJns 01 84 size true 01.png

El Jonas  size true L100 ft 684 t and scaled Airfix galleon L 76 ft  305 t.png

Screenshot 2024-01-19 141034.png

20240612_105458.jpg

Posted (edited)

Thank You Michael!

Indeed, it occupated my brain a several years allredy..need to do something with it!!! :)))!!!

Im thinking about decoration now...  for me it is most difficult part of the project...due to lack of my own imagination :),

I would like to combine/or making mix of some decorative elements of Piter Kirsch studies of his english galleon, Eugen Troppmann galleon reconstruction based on Aker 's "GH" galleon reconstruction 

https://www.segelschiffsmodellbau.com/t6619f952-Alternative-Rekonstruktion-der-GOLDEN-HIND.html

and famous art picture by Vroom( that of" Repulse."  - in the right corner ofcthe picture ...galleon decor I like very much! ..

Hendrik_Cornelisz._Vroom_-_The_Arrival_of_Elector_Frederick_V_of_the_Palatinate_and_Elizabeth_Stuart.jpg

English_Ships_and_the_Spanish_Armada,_August_1588_RMG_BHC0262.jpg

157.jpg

158.jpg

AR-161029987.jpg

file-4.jpg

f953t7855p212533n16_dYkNsCpz.jpg

Edited by kirill4

• The title was changed to Golden Hind 1578 by kirill4 - Airfix - 1:72 - PLASTIC - conversion to 406 ton Elizabethan galleon in 1:100 scale
Posted (edited)

Thank you very much my friend! I have bad expectations that it will take some time :))) ... The progress in the construction will go very slowly, I'm afraid ... Remember my previous project, which occupied all almost 15 years from beginning to the end, actually , in fact I was busy with the model for several weeks during the year, but ... in any case, I can’t promise fast construction in this case :))), if you have some proposals, questions, etc., please don't hesitate to ask ...

Edited by kirill4

Dear All, Good day!
A few last days were spent for playing and combining at one place pictures of Elizabethian galleon's decorations downloaded from internet for finding out suitable "decor" elements for this "Elizabethian- English" galleon ...
As You could see , all findings presented on the pictures posted bellow, please consider all of these just as kind of concept for making model , how decoration could be looks like when it will be placed on the model, but don't consider that all shown colors on these drawings will be actually presented the same presented on the model...
they all will be adjusted later on for the uniform levels colors of the model style , if I could say that...
Presently, many fragments of the decoration just were pulled out from many sources and just directly placed on the drawing to see how it will works on the model style drawing suitable for Elizabethians galleon? ...
By the way,
If you could see, there is a kind of joke , when I was placed a faces of famous Elizabethian's navy officers taken from ancient tapestry in the frames instead of original canonic faces which most probably should be placed here based on ancient artists pictures ... see attached ...

Wish all of you All the Best!!!

copy 02.jpg

drake-takes-de-valdes-galleon-the-lord-admiral-pursues-the-enemy-xlarge.jpg

royal-coat-of-arms-of-elizabeth-i-in-the-church-of-st-thomas-and-st-edmund-at-salisbury.jpg

декор 02.jpg

декор 06.jpg

декор 05.jpg

Coat_of_Arms_of_England_And_Wales_(1558-1603).png

On 6/17/2024 at 8:37 PM, kirill4 said:

which occupied all almost 15 years

So it will be ready on my 75th birthday 😉

This will be great to follow 👍.

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Good day Patrick,

Thank You!

I will try to do it a little bit faster than previous one  :)))!!!

... at least, I already have 3D printed set of all necessary blocks, and recently received set of a few caliber

s of guns - sets of barrels and carriages...

ship's boat I have - this is "medival boat from" Zvezda" " which I wanted to convert into galleon boat...

decks I think need to be reffited and make from instant noodles plastic conteiners, masts I planned to make from additional set for galleon Revenge - that one made by Shipyard...

also planned to use some plastick sticks by Evergreen....

Decor elements I think I will order by 3 D prints as a basic set,  and than to replicate each elements / them , by using some two components modeling staff ...

so to speak, have everything for starting and continue this project exept time as usual :)))

Wish You All The Best!!!