Model Shipways USS Niagara 1:64 scale shopping list?

cardensb

I found about a dozen build logs on the site for this kit and many mention purchasing additional cordage, eye bolts, blocks, etc...

Does anyone have a comprehensive shopping list of what they ended up purchasing to be satisfied?  Mind sharing it?

I have found myself digging into leftover strip wood from other models to adjust some of the laser cut pieces already and figured I need to order additional eye bolts and blocks soon but hate to pay for shipping twice if I can get an order to Syren, Bluejacket, MS, etc... once.

Shawn Carden
Fredericksburg, VA

Completed ships: 

MS kit of Armed Virginian Sloop of 1768 (2005)
Two Admiralty style Lexingtons based upon Clay Feldman's SIS Articles (2006-2011)
MS Kit Prince de Neufchatel (2006-2012)

LSS's Fair American (2013)

Harold Hahn's Hannah scratchbuilt, no instructions, with a large break (2016 - 2023)

In Progress: MS kit USS Niagara
Future planned: Washington 1776 Galley

okay, well I did not see a comprehensive list in the first dozen...

Shawn Carden
Fredericksburg, VA

Completed ships: 

Two Admiralty style Lexingtons based upon Clay Feldman's SIS Articles (2006-2011)

Harold Hahn's Hannah scratchbuilt, no instructions, with a large break (2016 - 2023)

Hi Shawn,

I would start by downloading the parts list from MS. It will tell you how many blocks of each size, then just order a few more than needed to compensate for the ones that go flying off into the abyss of the workshop floor. Similarly with the rigging line and again order some extra to accommodate do-overs etc. For eyebolts, just order lots and lots. They're not expensive and you don't want to be counting them out sparingly for fear or running out. Another alternative that I have taken to, is to make your own eyebolts. I buy 32g. and 28g. annealed wire from BlueJacket and you can make as many as you need in whatever size you need. One big advantage to them is that there is no gap which the rigging line seems to always find. You probably won't need to upgrade the deadeyes, although if you want to, the parts list will tell you what you need. Apart from these things, I can't think of much else, if anything that you might need to shop for. I normally find that there is plenty of wood and it's usually decent in MS kits. The only thing that I often prepare for is replacing the rail cap if it's included as laser cut pieces. Minor differences in my hull shape sometimes mean that custom made ones fit better than a pre-formed one. Just check the parts list to see if Niagara has laser cut rail caps. They're usually 3/64" or 1/16" thick. for a few bucks you can add a sheet of each to your order; you're be sure to find some use for it, even if the pre-formed caps fit well.

The Niagara is a really nice build and I hope you enjoy building it as much as I did mine.

All the best,

David

Edited by David Lester

Current Build - St. Roch, Billing Boats; HMS Agamemnon, Caldercraft (on hold)

Previous Builds - Armed Virginia Sloop, Model Shipways; Constitution, Model Shipways; Rattlesnake, Mamoli; Virginia Privateer, Marine Model Co, restoration; Prince de Neufchatel, Model Shipways; Charles W. Morgan, Model Shipways; Pride of Baltimore II, Model Shipways, Bluenose, Model Shipways (x2); Niagara, Model Shipways; Mayfower, Model Shipways; Shamrock V, Amati; HMS Pegasus, Victory/Amati

6ohiocav's build log has a list.  I think his log is the what I am reading in the NRG mag too.  Good stuff.

"Thanks for stopping in. It is good to know there is another Niagara builder out there. 

Here is a rough inventory on what I have purchased from Syren so far. Chuck sells his products in small plastic packs. What I am listing below refers to individual packs.

RIGGING

TAN

.008 - 5 packs

.012 - 6

.018 - 2

.035 - 1

BLACK

.008 - 2

.012 - 2

.018 - 3

.025 - 2

.035 - 2

BLOCKS

3/32 SINGLE - 5

3/32 DOUBLE - 4

1/8 SINGLE - 4

1/8 DOUBLE - 3

5/32 SINGLE - 1

5/32 DOUBLE - 1

7mm CLEATS - 2

7mm CLOSED HEARTS - 1

3mm rigging hooks - 2

That is not a complete inventory, as I have a number of partially used packs, and am not finished rigging.  That will however get you to where I am. When I am totally finished, if that day ever comes, I will be able to provide a more detailed inventory."

Shawn Carden
Fredericksburg, VA

Completed ships: