HMS Greyhound by Harlequin - FINISHED - Corel - wood

right.....this is the most up to date pic of my HMS Greyhound build. I took off all the previous shrould and ratlines as i wasnt happy with the results. It was a big ask and nobody would have commented on them but my eye knew where the faults were, so off they came. The following pics will be more of a continued nature instead of a load of pics posted at random. I apologise for this but havent got the time to sort everything out. Good to be back though. 

post-90-0-00488800-1360957506_thumb.jpg

post-90-0-49078300-1360957539_thumb.jpg

Edited by harlequin

Excellent work! And a beautiful looking ship. I've heard mixed reviews of this kit, though I plan on jumping in after my current build - any problems I should look out for when diving in? I'll be following your log with great interest!

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780); Admiralty models Echo cross-section (semi-scratch)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch); Off-Centre Sailing Skiff (scratch)

under the bench: MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

Hi Hamilton, yes there are a couple of issues with this kit but its worth percevering with them. Check all the framework matches the plans. You will find if i remember rightly that frame 12 need to be remade, otherwise you will need lots of filler after the first planking. A lot of the fittings are very fragile and the cathead rail needs bending to fit the hull. I tried heating and bending but it didnt make much difference. Gentle cold bending finally got mine to the required shape but i had to use some metal filler and gold paint afterwards. Have a go at this model because it is a very good looking model. It will drive you nuts but i have altered several little things and negated most of the issues.

I've always wanted to see Greyhound.  Thanks for taking the time to re-post.  You're doing a fantastic job and she has great lines.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

First rate work on those rats.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

• 2 weeks later...

A few more of the dreaded ratlines added. A few need a little tweaking before they are finally set. Progress has been slow as my daughter got selected to play for England in her age group at rugby so i have been ferrying her all over the place. HMS Bellona is coming off the shelf very soon too.

post-90-0-40992100-1362217784.jpg

A couple of pics of Greyhounds lifeboat. It is a cast white metal boat and was not too impressed with it. I have decided to go with it and although it is not great it doesnt look too bad. It needs final details of a rudder and another oar. I used a brown admiralty paint to cover the outside and its ok if you dont inspect it close enough. It probably isnt an historically accurate boat, but i think it will remain as part of HMS Greyhound. I had tried several other small boat kits but none were to scale or just didnt look right.  

post-90-0-66800100-1362218954.jpg

post-90-0-24197500-1362218958.jpg

Ah, the ratlines!  You did a good job on the ship's boat.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Great rattling job! I personally don't mind doing these...I did almost 1000 clove hitches on the San Francisco a while ago - the most I've ever done...Throw on a movie or a couple of good podcasts and the time will fly! Anyway, she's really coming to life.....

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780); Admiralty models Echo cross-section (semi-scratch)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch); Off-Centre Sailing Skiff (scratch)

under the bench: MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

Looks great! Quick question - how tough do you think it would be to rig the canons on this one....I know the scale is quite small, but....I had thought of adding breeching lines at least but it looks like it would be pretty tight in there.....what are your thoughts?

hamilton

Hi Hamilton, I think it is possible to rig the cannons, they might be tight towards the bow. I havent done it just because I didnt want it overcrowded, but it will probably look ok. I'd say give it a go and see how it starts to look as you progress. The plans dont show any rigging  for the cannons but the pic on the box does.

Edited by harlequin

At 1:96 I'm thinking breech lines might be all you want.  She's looking really fine.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

• 2 weeks later...

Alright.  Looking good!

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Excellent work Harlequin! I hope I can get mine looking this good. I admire your tenacity in re-doing things that you're not entirely satisfied with - too often I just decide to live with them! I'll try to take a page from your book. Anyway - really nice to look at!
hamilton

Shroads and ratlines now completed. I'll post some pics when I'm sober.  :dancetl6:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.  Sounds like the good old days of years past!  Enjoy the hangover :cheers:

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976