How can I prevent "Sagging" rigging?

wilnatp

I have scratch built a wood model without much detail and built a plastic kit model. In both instances, the rigging on the ships has started to sag over time. The initial knots are tight (most with spots of glue) but where there was once a taut line, the lines sag. This is the case for both running and standing rigging but mostly the standing rigging.

Is this due to the type of thread or how I prepped it, or is this just part of the entropy? Can it be prevented or staved off or is option to rerig the ships?

Also, is there type of glue that you like to use on your rigging if glueing knots or anchor points that doesn't show as shiny?

Thanks!

Nathan

I remain obediently yours,

Nathan

_______

In the shipyard: 

Billings Boats Karoline - R/C 

Amanti Hannah - SIB

MSW Fair American (Still on the drafting floor)

“Inside my empty bottle I was constructing a lighthouse while all the others were making ships.” - Charles Simic

“Men go back to the mountains, as they go back to sailing ships at sea, because in the mountains and on the sea they must face up.” - Henry David Thoreau

Been watching and thinking about what I have been read ing about rigging sag. With all the rope walks being used, it seems that it would be a simple matter to place a copper wire as a  core when making rigging rope, I know  wire rope is wound with a core. Would probably need to remove that copper core at the knots and hitch locations, leaving the core in the remainder of the line, perhaps another material such as fishing line could be used. Might be worth a test if rigging sag is the norm, from my reading all do not have the problem. Expansion and contraction is all around us, our clothes line is much tighter during the winter than the summer, it's made of galvanized steel wire, the conditions when placing and adjusting he rigging has more to do with sag than time.

jud.

Edited by jud

Hello Nathan.

I suggest you run your thread or rope lines over a cake of wax or even the side of a candle, and then over a lighter flame to melt the wax and let it sink in the thread. This will make your lines impervious to humidity, which is a very common cause for sagging lines.

I use FLAT clear lacquer, used in plastic modeling, to fix my knots. This will not leave a shiny spot on your knot or make it brittle, and is strong enough to do the job. Diluted white glue also works well.

Hope this helps.

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

If you have a Jims Byrnes ropewalk you can use small gauge wire (32 gauge wire) use it as the core and then thread the three spools with the thread you want and give it a go. Your rope comes out as 4 strand with one strand the wire and the other three strands the rope. I have made a test piece with Coats and CLark 35wt black thread and 32 gauge wire. It really firms up the rope. Still have a lot of experimanting to do.

Geoff

NRG member #2666
Current build : USS Constitution

Finished builds: Armed Virginia Sloop (in gallery)

I got a same thougts but the different direction: How can I make the lines slag, but in a natural way ...

If the build is already done, try wallpaper glue and form until it is dry. If not pleased with the result, just wetten and reform.

It can look quite realistic like this :-)

Daniel

To victory and beyond! http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/76-hms-victory-by-dafi-to-victory-and-beyond/

See also our german forum for Sailing Ship Modeling and History: http://www.segelschiffsmodellbau.com/

Finest etch parts for HMS Victory 1:100 (Heller Kit) and other useful bits.

http://dafinismus.de/index_en.html

@Ulises Victoria - That is a great idea. When sewing clothes for my other hobby, I use wax on the thread to help it slide through the cloth but also protect the thread from sweat. I'll try this out on my next build.

@Daniel - Using wallpaper glue is a new idea. Thanks for that tip!

Thanks all for the great input. Keep it coming if you have additional thought!

Nathan

I remain obediently yours,

Nathan

_______

In the shipyard: 

Billings Boats Karoline - R/C 

Amanti Hannah - SIB

MSW Fair American (Still on the drafting floor)

“Inside my empty bottle I was constructing a lighthouse while all the others were making ships.” - Charles Simic

“Men go back to the mountains, as they go back to sailing ships at sea, because in the mountains and on the sea they must face up.” - Henry David Thoreau