I got one from Harbor Freight and I found that it cuts through 1/plywood like a hot knife through butter. I absolutely love these saws.

Nirvana it might interest you to know that Adam Savage uses a Japanese saw for allot of his personal projects too.

Lextin.

Edited by qwerty2008

"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein.

• 4 weeks later...

My absolute favourite is the little one laying on top - its about 5cm (2inches) blade and about 42tpi..and the cleanest cut I have seen.

I got them from Deiters fine tools in Germany - as it was just as quick and cost about the same shipping as somewhere in Australia - and cheaper for the items,

Mine arrived from Germany today. I used your recommendation Meredith so . . .    :)

I have an old set of Zona saws back home and was thinking replacing them when this thread came up. My Christmas trip to the UK enables me to stock up on tools and other bits and pieces that it's hard to find in Turkey so I ordered the saw just after Christmas. No complaints about the service from Dieter Schmid's. I like the look of the Incra rules they stock - I might try the shipping service to Turkey in the next month or so.   

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself.

• 1 year later...

A couple of places to get very good Japanese pull saws (Dozuki nokogiri) (Doe zoo key nook a gor-e) are www.Hildatools.com and www.japanwoodworker.com. I have a small pull saw 6" for model work (Love It!) and a 9 1/2" crosscut and a 9 1/2" rip saw. All cut on the pull stroke and if you lay your work out right scribing your cut line they will cut very accurate. They will leave a smooth as glass finish to the cut, Their a joy to work with and after you use and learn how to use one you will wonder how you ever got along without one. They are not cheap. The professional ones can cost upwards of a hundred dollars or more. The replaceable blade ones go for about fifty dollars and there well worth every penny. Light years beyond the saws you can get at Lowes, Home Depot, Harbor Freight, ect... The blades stay sharper longer as long as you don't abuse one. Replacement blades go for around $20.00 couple bucks.

Leonard