HM BOMB VESSEL GRANADO by DaveB - CALDERCRAFT - SCALE 1:64

Your progress is great Dave and the base board jig is a very cool.

For the mounting pedestals there is a simpler way...

- Recess the raised base of the pedestal into the mounting board and epoxy glue it in there. I got a wood joiner to do the recess in the base for me. The flare at the base of the pedestal ends up flush with the base board but you could set it higher.

- The recessed pedestal when epoxy glued in place on the base is very rigid - immovable.

- Epoxy glue the keel into the pedestal and then, when it is dry, reinforce the connection with a wood screw or just a nail (I used a nail with some more epoxy for luck).

Your ship can never, ever be removed from the base after this but it saves a whole lot of fussing around early on and it is extremely rigid. It also means you don't have to predict mounting positions. Plus I think the recessed pedestal is more elegant than a placed pedestal.

I lost all of my pictures of this method but here is one from my AVS log. You can see that the pedestal is recessed into the base board.

I'm looking forward to your future work on Granado - I'm tossing up whether this will be my next ship model but that is years away!

Cheers

Alistair

post-259-0-69615500-1384414547_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

Both sides went really well actually. Although I couldn't get them to sit flush with the tops of all the bulkhead extensions. I don't think that this should be an issue though, as they are removed down to deck level anyway.

Yes I had the same issue. Should not be a problem though. I meant to start my build log only to find my son had borrowed the laptop for Uni. Have not figured how to use iPad to get my camera photos loaded. Maybe this weekend. After Svotland take on the USA

Cheers
Craig 

Current Build

HMS Indefatigable 

Erycina - Vanguard Models

Finished: HM Bomb Vessel Granado - Caldercraft, HMS Pegasus - Victory models, Nisha - Vanguard Models

• 2 weeks later...

Dave I do have a build log up and running what I need to do is add a link to it. in the meantime if you search for me and Granado you should find some pics etc

Cheers
Craig 

Current Build

HMS Indefatigable 

Erycina - Vanguard Models

Finished: HM Bomb Vessel Granado - Caldercraft, HMS Pegasus - Victory models, Nisha - Vanguard Models

Finally got another 3 hours at it tonight. Firstly I noticed the one of the gun port patterns at the stern had flared out with a large "blob" of glue under it. I scraped this away and re-glued. Got the first 2 planking strips glued into position on both sides tonight.

That's it so far, but hope to keep at it a bit more regularly now.

post-6661-0-22637900-1385582792_thumb.jpg

post-6661-0-72729700-1385582805_thumb.jpg

post-6661-0-07817200-1385582849_thumb.jpg

post-6661-0-72826300-1385582875_thumb.jpg

post-6661-0-87771300-1385582894_thumb.jpg

post-6661-0-82357500-1385582918_thumb.jpg

post-6661-0-11260100-1385582941_thumb.jpg

post-6661-0-58039400-1385582960_thumb.jpg

post-6661-0-85315200-1385582984_thumb.jpg

post-6661-0-23734700-1385583006_thumb.jpg

post-6661-0-53357500-1385583026_thumb.jpg

Well, after posting these last night we were woken up by the house alarm at 3:30 this morning. My garage and hobby room have PIR sensors connected to the house alarm. They broke into my shed, found nothing and moved onto the garage. Thank heavens for the alarm. It went off as soon as they stepped foot inside. If they had got into my room I don't know what damage they would have done. However, the alarm worked, and the build lives on!!!

Hi Dave 

I am originally from Driffield East Yorkshire now living in the USA That been said I am about 1/3 way through my Granado build at the moment I am at work at sea so the shipyard is at a stand still. I had reached the part of putting in the painted bulkhead between decks The kit is very detailed as you know and all those small brass parts!! There is a very good Log on this site by a gentleman from New Zealand and his log is very detailed Well worth finding it and reading great help

happy building 

Andy

Current Build

HM Granado CC

Past builds

HMS Chatham CC, HM Convulsion CC,  Duke William German Kit, Fair American LSS, The Wright Flyer MS

Hi Dave

Good miss on the break-in!

Couple of thoughts for you as you continue planking:

- Add balsa fillers at the bow and stern - it is not too late to do this and will really help at these stressed areas.

- Your very next planks should taper upwards. Start the taper quite far back from the stem and stern. You need to get the planks rising as soon as possible especially at the bow.

- Lay the garboard plank early - that will give you a real feel for the planks in between the wale and the keel.

I haven't planked Granado but the above advice gave me a good go at HMS Fly and I don't think the hull shapes are too much different. I might be trying to teach you to suck eggs but I see planking here go astray for a lack of a few simple tips. Equally, I also see planking here that blows me away for its accuracy!

Cheers

Alistair

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

Getting there Dave........even though the first layer of planking does not get seen it is still very important as it governs the shape of the  eventual hull, it might be an idea to put in the balsa fillets as Alistair suggests as this help you get a nice rounded shape to the bow.....i know i didn't but that is just me being lazy.

The first layer is also an opportunity to try out the planking scheme you are going to use on the second layer and iron out any problems therein ,

As for the burglary i am afraid that is your own fault for showing off with your build board (someone was bound to try for it )  I will pm you the plans for a really good anti burglar device that i invented free of charge...it is very easy to build and cheap to make , all that you will need is a length of rope ,two springs,two three foot lengths of 1 x 5 inch pine and various screws........oh......and a double barrelled shotgun...... also a body bag and maybe a bag of lime (the bag of lime will depend on how you are planning to get rid of the body).

Cheers

Jack

Edited by jthemanjack

Like the alarm idea Jack. Balsa blocks are on their way from Cornwall Model Boats. As soon as they arrive I will be back on the build. Wednesday will be a no goer though, I will be trying to get a stream to watch Arsenal v Hull City.

• 3 weeks later...