1st wood model - Harriet Lane Question - retitled and moved by moderator

jaws76

so thought id do the hariat lane steam paddle cutter, am planking the sides, so not to far into it, but if any one has any suggestions on the masts once i get there that would be helpful, the instructions are vague on lots, shoulda actually read up on dificulty lvl for this one. ive done many reg plastic models and the uss const and cutty sark a few times so rigging is not new, mainly wondering what to use for the sails to be bunched up and best way to do that i suppose

Hello, Jaws - good to see another Harriet Lane build going!  Please feel free to post a build log so we can follow along!

I am not planning on putting sails on my HL - but Sarah (Slagoon) did.  See this post in her log for some ideas.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/495-harriet-lane-

As far as the rigging itself, I found that the Underhill book Masting & Rigging The Clipper Ship & Ocean Carrier has been very useful for understanding what goes where, along with The young Sea Officer's Sheet Anchor by Darcy Lever and Spars and Rigging from Nautical Routine by Murphy and Jeffers.

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

for the most part everything is painted and got the rudder among other stuffdoing the bottom paddle wheels later prolly tonighstoppeed ip te rails so the guns arnr loking for submarines LOL, and not sorkng on the ouse have a few ideAS ONce i get the sculpy in   a dew daysreLLY DONT WANR TO USE OPAOER ON THE SHIP TO SHO DETAIL, sorry for the lack of grammer meds and wine dont mix, oh and sleeping oneas really dont lol any commemnt to make thwe build better are lway greatfully appreciated

post-8207-0-54744800-1384837299_thumb.jpg

post-8207-0-78355600-1384837319_thumb.jpg

post-8207-0-68874400-1384837330_thumb.jpg

post-8207-0-16401200-1384941483_thumb.jpg

post-8207-0-92027800-1384941498_thumb.jpg

post-8207-0-95142100-1384941517_thumb.jpg

Edited by jaws76

What you have above is looking good thus far - nice work!

I ran into the same problem with my HL. 

post-18-0-09475300-1384877755_thumb.jpg

post-18-0-34526700-1384877755_thumb.jpg

I ended up adding an additional piece atop the existing bulwark and then a new rail on top of that.

post-18-0-95458700-1384877893_thumb.jpg

You can see in this one how much height I added -

post-18-0-64747300-1384877893_thumb.jpg

You may want to consider holding off on installing the cap rail until you get some of the deck and paddle box work finished.

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

• 2 weeks later...

taking a break from the lane from a bit and working on the halifax,  needed to ponder some stuff on the lane since the structions are kinda bland on the stuff that goes on the deck, and time to find real pictures of the ship

Jaw76,

I'd like to suggest you open a build log for each of your ships..  It's a great way to get help and provide continuity for anyone else interested.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)