Fantail Launch II by shawn32671 - FINISHED - Midwest Products - SMALL

Great job Shawn , Looks like it came together pretty fast . ( it usually does when you are having fun)

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Looking good, Shawn.  Can't wait to see it in the water.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

I always did my first test in the bath tub.  I didn't have to go anywhere.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Well I got the the water line painted and it sure looks goofy to me from certain angles but it's placed where the plan and the finished model on the box indicates. The next steps are to glue the flags to the bow and stern, install the rudder and then the radio gear. Over all I am very pleased with the model.

DSC02352_zpsa13bdd7f.jpg

DSC02353_zps5f675ab9.jpg

DSC02355_zps7fd14787.jpg

DSC02358_zpsdb4afc9b.jpg

Shawn

Charles City, Iowa

Albatroscon80702_zps103cfe83.jpg  2-MidwestProductsSkipjackSmall_zps02b8cc Smallsakonnetdaysailer.jpg

Shawn - the trick is to look at it from the side with your eye at the level of the waterline.  If it looks straight from that angle, you've got it made.  Nice progess on this guy - keep up the good work.

Bob

Current build -- MS Bluenose

Future build - MS Flying Fish

"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for." - William G. T. Shedd

Here is the completed Midwest Products "The Fantail Launch II". All that remains is to install the radio control equipment. Thanks to those who followed my build and gave kind or encouraging words and helpful advice along the way.

DSC02362_zps959a442b.jpg

DSC02363_zpsfd55a2d1.jpg

DSC02365_zps8c1aa48f.jpg

DSC02366_zps03692e5f.jpg

DSC02372_zps499b8e15.jpg

Shawn

Charles City, Iowa

Albatroscon80702_zps103cfe83.jpg  2-MidwestProductsSkipjackSmall_zps02b8cc Smallsakonnetdaysailer.jpg

I forgot to include pictures with the tiller and rudder control horn installed and ready to add the R/C. Now it looks completed. Adding a link after the pictures to part 5 (Final update) YouTube picture show video of the build.

DSC02374_zpsecd71f9b.jpg

DSC02379_zpscb37d820.jpg

Final build log picture show video of the Fantail Launch II: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9ptZPkz0s4

Edited by shawn

Shawn

Charles City, Iowa

Great Job Shawn , Building Boats can be habbit forming , I am addicted as well

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Nice job Shawn. I never think waterlines look correct unless viewed from one angle. On some hulls they seem to look odd no matter how you look at them. To me it seems that it would come up more on the side in the mid-section... but then I've never done a waterline.

It also just occurred to me that it will appear as a ghost is steering as the tiller will move with the rudder, how cool :)

Since my disability, the pool out back has kind went back to nature, so to speak. I've mentioned turning it into a fish pond by stocking it with fish and sinking a few small tree in it. I could sit out back and fish. Anyway, your build has given me another use for it now also. I'd definitely be with you on the not being able to wait until spring side of things. Thanks for sharing this build and don't forget we all want to see her maiden voyage. Video preferable to just pictures so we can see her steam along.

Too another completed build :cheers:

Thanks Kieth and I too think the water line should be up higher in the mid section but no matter how careful I tried with my masking tape, I couldn't get the tape to lay right without huge wrinkles. Thinking back, maybe I should have tried some electrical tape to mask with since it would be able to form around complex curves. This was my very first ever attempt at painting a water line and think it came out pretty good considering.

I plan to record my maiden voyage with the boat and also record the steam engine running as a stand alone to show it off a bit. Great idea with your pool, if you had lived near by, I'd be joining you by that pool fishing and steam boating. You really need to try building one of these, it has been loads of fun and learned a lot, many first for me with this boat, first time "glassing", first time painting a water line and first time steam anything.

Oh and I found a YouTube video of a boat like mine with a couple scale dolls riding along with one at the tiller. I've got to try this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96SZD2O8AsI

Edited by shawn

Shawn

Charles City, Iowa

Very interesting video.

I like how they made the little guys arm move with the tiller. Plus the scratchy sound of that old ragtime vinyl was perfect background music.

Looking at the waterline on that build, it looks to be up on the side further. On masking tape, width is important. using thinner tape or electrical (which would stretch) would help.

I'm gong to try using electrical tape for masking when I paint the water line on my Chesapeake Bay Skipjack.

Love that song too...Edward Meeker-Steamboat Bill 1911 Edison.

Making the dolls arm move in conjunction with the tiller without binding I think would be fairly easy. I'm thinking that if the arm inside the sleeve was to be removed and leave the sleeve empty and free moving and just glue the hand to the end of the sleeve shirt or coat cuff, that'd do the trick. I will surely have to try this myself on mine.

Edited by shawn

Shawn

Charles City, Iowa

• 9 years later...

Sean, I know this is a longshot because it’s been so long ago that you built the Fantale launch. I bought one off of eBay and it’s missing a few things but the most important thing is the full size plans so I can get the stuff for tube and the rotor tube in the right places and I have no idea right now how to do that. By chance do you happen to have the plans still after all these years? 
Phil Serviss