When scratch building, why make frames for a hull that will be completely planked instead of just making bulkheads?

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

A very interesting post Rob,but there are actually five ways to build a hull.For some reason only two of them mainly appear on this forum.The others are solid hull,hollowed solid hull and lastly wooden composite monolith built around a former.The last three are favoured by builders from Eastern Europe and Russia.

On top of these there is cardboard,fibreglass etc.I personally think it is down to the builders preference,but also affected by what details are to be visible i.e. gundecks etc.I know the late Ed Marple used to build his models nearly fully framed,despite being fully planked.This must have just been his 'preferred method'.I do know that his planking had superior support because the framing was so close together compared to normal bulkhead construction.

Kind Regards Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

For certain hull forms, one can control the shape better with closer spaced frames, particularly at the bow and stern. Also, there is greater area to land and attach planking to. However, as already mentioned, it's all a matter of taste.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Thanks, All,

That's what I thought but wanted to make sure there wasn't something I was overlooking.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

I always thought frame building gave the builder more options to explore the inside of the boat like interior designs. Bulkheads tend to take up the space for that.

Casey

"I drank what?" - Socrates

Current Builds:  

Finished Builds: 

Future Builds:        

• Mamoli Golden Hind
  • Mamoli Black Prince
  • AL Swift