Lil Swamp Buggy by shawn32671 - FINISHED - Dumas - RADIO - SMALL - Airboat

This following is actually a copy of a post from today I had made to my Facebook page in follow up to a build progress report I had started on Facebook before I had joned this forum. I thought it'd go well here...Although this doesn't show the whole build process, I'm sure you all get the idea of what went into building this and even though it's actually an R/C kit build, I hope no one minds.

Here's a long awaited final build update on my Dumas Li'l Swamp Buggy R/C electric motor conversion boat build. I had started this build this past fall but the original electric speed control I'd purchased was DOA right out of the package and I just recently finally ordered another one. Everything works perfectly now but I had purchased the wrong propeler. The one I need is a "pusher" type prop and the one I bought is a "pull" type. In other words, a pusher prop propels a boat/plane forward and a pull type prop pulls the boat/plane....so with this prop on the boat, it wants to pull the boat backwards. There are 3 wires on the speed control and without knowing exactly which does which, I really don't want to try installing wires in a reverse fasion to try to get the boat to run in a forward direction and risk frying the new speed controller so I will be buying some "pusher" props this week. Then it's off to my vacant lot I own next door for some fun in the snow, yeehawww.

2-LilSwampBuggyBox.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

DSC02794.jpg

DSC02793.jpg

DSC02795.jpg

DSC02796.jpg

2.jpg

Shawn

Charles City, Iowa

Albatroscon80702_zps103cfe83.jpg  2-MidwestProductsSkipjackSmall_zps02b8cc Smallsakonnetdaysailer.jpg

Thanks, I did end up reversing the red and black wires on the electric speed control and it now runs correctly....too late in the day to go try it out outside but it moves well across the carpet....This is going to be super fun on the pond this coming Spring.

Shawn

Charles City, Iowa

Albatroscon80702_zps103cfe83.jpg  2-MidwestProductsSkipjackSmall_zps02b8cc Smallsakonnetdaysailer.jpg

I finally got a chance to run the airboat today on the snow in the vacant lot I own next door to my house and boy howdie...zipbang she really zooms along. But after 4 flips upside down however, I ended up breaking the only propeller I have so she's docked until I can order several more. This is going to be so much fun on the pond nearby this Spring....If we ever have  Spring, stupid snow.

Shawn

Charles City, Iowa

That looks like a lot of fun.  A few spares sounds like a good idea.

Tim

"That's a fine looking pair of oars you got there, Sir"

" 'em aint 'ores --- that's me wife and me daughter! "
  :o

Current build:   Glad Tidings Pinky Schooner

Past builds:  1:1  Stick-Up Sharpie Build

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack by Timo4352 - Midwest Products - SMALL - First time builder

Gunning Dory sail & oar boat 1:1
Future Build:   Scratch built Mower Dory  -  scale undetermined yet             

another future build:   Martha - Chesapeake draketail    

I would advise a cowling or roll bar so you dont worry so much..  Just make sure its strong enough so doesnt interfere with prop if bumped... i made many mods to mine..    One solid steel bar could suffice..

something like this..  B)  ollie

post-7066-0-63378400-1393985211.jpg

• The title was changed to Lil Swamp Buggy by shawn32671 - FINISHED - Dumas - RADIO - SMALL - Airboat