Burton Pendants, Tackle and Falls

Hi all,

I am hoping that someone may be able to provide some definitive information to identify how the mizzen burton pendant would have been constructed in HM Bark Endeavour (1768).

Hamilton raised this in his log at: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/3575-lower-mast-tackles-burton-pendantstackles-top-ropes/?hl=%2Bburton+%2Bpendants

I am comfortable with Lee's description but Marquardt shows these as rigged in his drawing but without sufficient detail to see the construction of the pendant and the associated tackle/falls.  I see in other logs the advice is to not show the tackle as it would have been rigged as required; however, there is contradictory advice on how the sling end of the pendants are constructed/made up for this period.

Anderson also states that up until the end of the 17th century the pendants were constructed with a single block in the hanging end (about level with the carpathans); however, by 1700 this was replaced with a violin block.  I have not found any other reference that provides additional information but note quite a few modellers recommend/used a simple eye or eyering. Is there a reference evidence for this?

It has also been suggested that as these pendants were used for several tasks (including the tensioning of the shrouds etc) that a single block with two part tackle (permanently in place) is valid to allow the required tackle type to be raised aloft forming a double(?) tackle arrangement - sounds a bit un-seaman-like though?).  Some Club members have suggested that the violin block was replaced with two individual blocks (single over double) stropped together in the end of the pendant in a type of reverse violin arrangement?

Can anybody please provide any definitive information as to the configuration of the Burton pendant ends/construction for around 1768/1770.

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Well, well - I must say this surprises me - I thought there maybe someone out there who could help shed some light on the subject?

In the end I looked at the drawings by Ray Parkin and his arrangement was very similar to that shown (in less detail) by Marquardt.  I have decided to go with this even though according to Lees, this arrangement had been superceded by 1700.

cheers

Pat

Pat:

If you want to rig it, I would go with Lees or Steel. They are the two best authorities I know of. Maybe Lever might provide a better illustration, but it really covers a later time period. It is your choice though.

Russ

Thanks Russ,  I have decided to stay with Parkin as I know he researched fairly thoroughly and I am advised he and Karl had some great "debates' over some fittings etc such as the boomkins.  I ma hoping that as they both agreed on this that they agreed their research on these :)   I know they based most of their rigging on Steel anyway.

cheers

Pat

Pat, here's primary source info. (added a few cross-ref. definitions for addtl. details) from Blanckley's A Naval Expositor (1750):

post-4129-0-86873000-1394498585_thumb.jpg

post-4129-0-89030000-1394498586_thumb.jpg

post-4129-0-48757700-1394499468_thumb.jpg

post-4129-0-92867300-1394498590_thumb.jpg

post-4129-0-88692000-1394498589_thumb.jpg

Falconer likely will move you closer to your time period and may also shed light as well; sorry, don't have a copy of his work on my shelves (yet!).  Based on Blanckley, Lees, and Marquardt, your approach is sounds appropriate for the period you're rigging.

Cheers,

Jay

Current Build:

Pat, I had the same question and this is how I interpreted the things I saw in various rigging books.  In Lever's book, the pendants are identified as having to go on before the shrouds as they are need to tension them.  What is probably referenced as being 'removeable' would be any blocks attached to the pendants.

post-891-0-07921800-1394500961.jpg

post-891-0-80651500-1394500960.jpg

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Hi Jay and BW; many thanks for the feed back.

BW - I was almost at the same conclusion as you WRT to the ends where I see you settled on an eye.  What period/year does your model represent please?  Very nice seizing and serving of those pendants by the way.

Jay, many thanks and that sort of confirms Parkins and Marquardt.  I will have a look at an on-line copy of Falconer to see what he defines.

I am currently using a single block to which the standing end of the tackle was fitted, with a single block at the running end, and which results in the falls being downward from the upper block to provide mechanical advantage.  This is what Parkin shows, and both seem to think that for the mizzen burton pendant, the tackle was permanently rigged with the bottom block secured to an eyebolt on the mizzen channel, slightly inboard of and between the first and second shroud pairs.  I now just need to determine where/how the falls were belayed :)  My current leaning is towards a shroud cleat, or perhaps the closest belaying pin in the associated rail.

Many thanks again, this is quite helpful.