Syren-Alternate color schemes (Moved by moderator)

I just finished planking the Syren and stained the appropriate area with Golden Oak, which came out very blotchy.  I suspect that getting glue on the wood caused this.   I do not want to replank  it  and I am wondering if anyone has  any suggestions?

Dr Mac

If you used the stain on basswood it may have been that the wood simply absorbed the stain differently at different points on its surface. This is something that happens with softer wood like basswood. It could be due to glue not being removed completely, but you can stain a piece of basswood with no glue at all and get a blotchy result. When staining basswood, I always use a pre stain conditioner to even out the wood surface so that it will absorb the stain evenly across the entire surface, thus giving a better result.

Russ

Dont be afraid to sand the heck out of it.   You can sand all of that off and restain it.   The planks are thick enough.   Try t again but make sure you use a mixture of more natural stain vs golden oak.  I would start with something like a 20 % stain mixture to 80% natural.   See what happens.    You can remove that stained layer if you just sand it off.   Then sand it with a very fine 400 - 600 wet dry paper.   Then apply the stain mixture.

Chuck

• 5 months later...

What Chuck suggests about the mix ratio is what I did on the Longboat. I used 1pt golden oak to 3pts natural and it reduced the blotchy appearance a lot. 20/80 would be better still.

Mike

Edited by Stuntflyer

Current build - Sloop Speedwell 1752 (POF)

Completed builds - 18 Century Longboat (POB) , HM Cutter Cheerful  1806 (POB), HMS Winchelsea 1764 (POB)

Member: Ship Model Society of New Jersey

I had the same problem. I finally used the pre-conditioner and the 20/80 mixture, and after sanding down and re-applying about 5 times it evened out nicely. It wasn't really that much trouble because a lot of those sand-downs were to fix boo boos. It seems to take a lot of applications of the stain mixture to soak in enough for an even finish.

Current build: US Brig Syren (MS)

Larry Van Es

Former President

Ship Modelers Association

Fullerton California

http://www.shipmodelersassociation.org

trip 134