Finishing Brass To Look Like Wood

Need to finish the brass belaying pins for the 18th Century Longboat to look like wood. Has anyone done this successfully?

Edited by Stuntflyer

Current build - Sloop Speedwell 1752 (POF)

Completed builds - 18 Century Longboat (POB) , HM Cutter Cheerful  1806 (POB), HMS Winchelsea 1764 (POB)

Member: Ship Model Society of New Jersey

If you are thinking of paint, spray with automotive primer first. Then paint with a yellow ochre, adding a touch of orange, white and/or burnt umber to taste. You can use acrylic or solvent based paint over the primer.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Druxey,

I've had the same question. I purchased Britannia metal blocks for my schooner from Blue Jacket Shipcrafters. The blocks are internally iron stropped with wooden shells. I would like them to look like varnished wood. I'll experiment with your suggestions. I bought bass wood strips for the masting and spars and would like the blocks, masts , and spars to appear reasonably similar. I've got a number of different Minwax stains I could use on the wood components. Do you have any thoughts on an approach?

Thank you,

Elia

Elia

Rose Valley, PA

Arethusa: 1907 Gloucester Knockabout