Improving brass hinges

As a result of Shazmira posting about badly formed and ill fitting rudder hinges I thought I would post my answer to the problem.

First get one of these, it is a tile nipping tool designed to help shape ceramic tiles.

post-697-0-47672100-1361776605_thumb.jpg

I don't use brass rod for the hinge pin opting instead for brass nails supplied with the kit, cut to length and put into the hinge with the head at the top like most domestic hinges to stop the pin falling through.

Then holding the hinge pin section of the hinge with the tool, note, I did not put the pin in for the pic.

post-697-0-33590800-1361776899_thumb.jpg

Push the tool and hinge down onto a hard edge wide enough to fill the throat of the hinge and while pushing against this crimp the hinge in around the pin. The pin should not get jammed because the brass will normally spring back just a bit.

post-697-0-32986500-1361776826_thumb.jpg

When the pin pocket is crimped in nicely you can rebend the throat of the hinge tightly around a metal or hard wood edge that is the same thickness as the stern post or rudder using a hard straight edge to bend with to get a clean fold.

Note: if the brass is hard you can heat it until it is going red and leave to cool. This will soften it nicely but leave it discoloured, a touch of emery or steel wool will fix that easily.

Edited by Bedford

Quote: "Note: if the brass is hard you can heat it until it is going red and leave to cool. This will soften it nicely but leave it discoloured, a touch of emery or steel wool will fix that easily."

It is very correct for firm brass, differently when bending under a big corner the detail from a wire can burst.

Best regards,

Garward

Is under construction Montanes

Ready models Golden Star Corsair San Francisco II

Bronze 24-pdr canone Le Fleuron

Bronze 24-pdr canone Le Fleuron (second version)

• 3 weeks later...