Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

About Bedford

  • Birthday 10/20/1961

Profile Information

  • Gender
  • Location
    Camden NSW Australia

Recent Profile Visitors

782 profile views
  1. Quite appropriate John On that, when Neil Armstrong died I worked for a car dealer, in the workshop. In the lunch room I saw the headline on the paper and said "I saw that man walk on the moon" crickets, tumbleweeds. I was the only one old enough to have seen it 😕
  2. A little more done, this time I steam bent the apron while the original is laminated. I've joined the keelson to the apron and started fairing the keelson to accept the garboards but here I have to stop because I'm waiting on a sheet of 0.8mm plywood from which I'll laminate 2 layers and then a layer of mahogany to make the transom before I can finish fitting and fairing the keelson in preparation for the planking which will be done with the 0.8mm plywood.
  3. Popeye, thanks for the compliment. I am building her again exactly (almost) the way I built the original. The building form shown is a 1/8th scale representation of the original and will be scrapped once the hull is finished and righted for fit out. Each individual plank land is cut into the molds to aid correct fitment. I even have a sheet of 0.8mm plywood on order for the planks.
  4. Thanks Jim, I'm sure it will and at the scale of 1:8 detail should be easier than normal. She'll be one of very few models with sitka spruce spars I'd imagine. The planking will be interesting because the full size model had them cnc router cut to shape but I'm going to have to take the lines from the hull as I go in this case and they are some interesting shapes!
  5. When I met Mark Pearse recently I mentioned that I might do this as a model, he was pretty keen that I should so here it is
  6. Well I have finished building the 1:1 boat so now I'm doing the model. The plans are drawn at 1:8 scale so I'm going 1 to 1 off them which is very convenient. I aim to make it as much as the original is made as is practical, including using the same timbers from left overs. The exception to this is the transom because the original is rosewood but the grain is so open it was barely usable at 1:1 so I'm going to use mahogany instead. When I met Mark Pearse a while back I mentioned that I might do this and he was very keen that I should so here you are Mark. The plans have all the lines I need so it was pretty easy to draw it up plus the understanding of having already built it goes a long way.
  7. Another classic Aussie phrase, and this one was taken as the name for one of my favorite American bands. The girlfriend of one of the three singers saw it in a magazine article about the Australian aborigine and it refers to how cold a night is Sleep with one dog, cool night. Two dogs, cold night. THREE DOG NIGHT, flamin freezing
  8. Thanks for the invite to the "Cliff Gale's Legacy" talk tonight, it was very informative. Cliff was a great designer. I stood and looked at the model from several different angles and the hull just looks right, no matter where you view it from. The model is larger than I thought and I'd have to call it museum quality, just beautiful and it was good to meet her builder.
  9. There's another old one I recalled today, haven't heard it for years but it's a true classic. I was walking in the bush, enjoying the serenity etc when I noticed my shadow was quite long and it was time to head back, hence the old saying among the bushies "The shadow's gettin long" Meaning time to knock off
  10. Or the aussie classic "no wuckas" being a derivation of "no wuckin furries" and I'm sure we're all capable of working that little gem out

About us

Modelshipworld - Advancing Ship Modeling through Research

SSL Secured

Your security is important for us so this Website is SSL-Secured

NRG Mailing Address

Nautical Research Guild
237 South Lincoln Street
Westmont IL, 60559-1917

About the NRG

If you enjoy building ship models that are historically accurate as well as beautiful, then The Nautical Research Guild (NRG) is just right for you.

The Guild is a non-profit educational organization whose mission is to “Advance Ship Modeling Through Research”. We provide support to our members in their efforts to raise the quality of their model ships.

The Nautical Research Guild has published our world-renowned quarterly magazine, The Nautical Research Journal, since 1955. The pages of the Journal are full of articles by accomplished ship modelers who show you how they create those exquisite details on their models, and by maritime historians who show you the correct details to build. The Journal is available in both print and digital editions. Go to the NRG web site (www.thenrg.org) to download a complimentary digital copy of the Journal. The NRG also publishes plan sets, books and compilations of back issues of the Journal and the former Ships in Scale and Model Ship Builder magazines.

Our Emblem

Modelshipworld - Advancing Ship Modeling through Research
  • Create New...