Specific Glues available in Aus.

OK I've worked my way through a number of posts concerning types and use of various glues and decided it's nearly as controversial as substrate for Central Bearded Dragons. So can a few Aussies please enlighten me as to the type and brand names of the adhesives they use for construction. It'll give me a chance to check my workshop, get some and experiment before I start a build.

Thanks to all in advance 

Rick

Gidday Rick,

Here are some of the glues I use,

Selleys Aquadhere ; Woodworking glue. Bunnings.

Weldbond; White woodworking glue. Water clean up. Bunnings.

SikaBond - Techgrip; Polyurethane glue, Metal, Wood, Glass, Rubber. Bunnings.

MAGPOW; CA, Online EBAY.

Stik it, 5 minute epoxy. Hobby shop.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Mark.

Hey Rick. As listed above Mark has pretty much Summed it up. I use selleys Aquadhere for all wood fittings etc. Then move onto the CA for metal fittigs and instaling ring bolts. I use diluted PVA for gluing knots on the rigging as CA glue damages the thread.

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

Thanks - I've worked with a couple of these so that does help. One other question I forgot in my original query. Exacto blades - I'm familiar with these from plastic modelling but I'm wondering what type/shape would be most commonly used in this area.

Rick

Gidday Rick,

When I need blades I type in x-acto into the eBay search box. I have purchased several mixed packs of blades fairly cheaply. The type of blade used is dependent on the application. I would suggest buying a set of micro / mini chisels as I have had some bad experiences with the plastic handled x-acto variety.

I hope you find this useful.

Regards.

Mark.

Rick,

I use Selleys Aquadhere and Five Minute Araldite.

As for blades, you might want to consider using scalpel blades instead - you'll probably find that they're better quality and last longer.  The two that I find most useful are No. 11 (fine straight blade) and No. 21 (heavier curved blade).  But remember - buy them from a vet or chiropody supplier, not from a surgical supplier - much cheaper for the same thing.

John

Hi Rick

I use Sellys Aquadhere wood glue and

Loctite Super Glue . Both from Bunnings

Regarding blades  I have a scalpel blade holder and buy

Number 11 Swann Morton surgical blades from Hobby Tools Australia

In packs of 100 

Regards

Ken

Edited by kenr

Under construction  US Brig Niagara

Completed  HMB Endeavour - Caldercraft

I agree with Brian - Titebond is my favourite glue. There are a couple of issues with it though - first, it does not set clear. It is a tiny bit yellow. Won't be a problem if you sand it all off. The second issue is its setting time - about 30 minutes. It is perfect for me, but may be either too fast or too slow for you. For this reason I also stock a variety of other glues, including Aquadhere PVA (for when I want even slower setting times, or when set times is not an issue). I also stock Epoxy at home - I like Epoxy, but it is expensive and wasteful. Then there are the 10 packs of Super Glue you can buy from Asian $2 shops in Box Hill.

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

I also use Selleys Aquadhere.  Not sure if its just me but I started using it as I had some exterior grade of it in the shed when I started wood ship modelling and found it great, but when it ran out I saw the interior grade in Bunnings for half the price and bought that. I hated it so much went back to the shops same day and got the exterior stuff again.

I use the interior grade on the card models which works well, better than the exterior.

For CA I am slowly trying out different brands, types (although not a fan of the gel ones) and package sizes as I go as well as the clear gel stuff from Tarzan.

Also use Araldite 2 pack epoxy but the long cure time bugs me.

Slog

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)