USS Constitution by Usgecko - Revell - 1/96 - PLASTIC

As I am building the Constitution as depicted in Corné's painting I had to do something about the Revell kits window panes.  The model has simple 2 * 4 panes in each window frame, Corné clearly shows 3 *2. To remedy this I cut out the horizontal bars in the kit widows leaving only the vertical bar in the window. I then gently open up the height of each window frame at the top and bottom, while avoiding damaging the vertical bar. Two thin plastic strips were then glued across the back of each window frame, and to give more depth to the newly added bars 4 pieces of the same size of strip were cut and glued to the outside of the added bars. Pictures below of inside view (partial only to show haw the added bars are glued to the inside), and outside view.

IMG_0435.thumb.jpg.b12674f907e2603256d856c407ede6ba.jpgIMG_0434.thumb.jpg.2af30feb6a083bcec63f8d5fbda3c143.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

In the process of trying to tidy up a couple of areas at the bow where the molds on each side of the hull were a little mismatched. The white areas are plastic tubing I had inserted where the original molding holes were.  Then drilled to get better alignment between the molding on both sides.

IMG_0441.jpg

Edited by Usgecko

• 2 weeks later...

The fit of the head timbers (hopefully that's the right name - was from the instructions 🙂 ) was, umm atrocious! No problem that's why they call it modelling. I attached the head timbers in the middle first, let that dry thoroughly then the front, then the back. Drilled a hole at the back and slid some plastic rod in before gluing to give some stability to it. Would be curious if earlier boxings of Revell's kit were a little ;cleaner".

IMG_0443.jpg

• 4 months later...

Hello Stuart,

your stove is perfect! I just recently found drawings of those brodie stoves - and you did a really good job.

And your windows in the stern are the very best adaption I ever saw on that Revel-model. Was thinking about doing a comparable approach - but I wanted first to do some "replicas" with a silicon mold (first attempts were not really successful) since I would like to rework the decoratoin too ... I do not dare to do that with the only part I have right now. I was thinking about widening to upper or the lower end of the windows - but your result (doing on both sides) generates a very pleasing appearance! It fits perfect that way!

I think the Revel stern is an excellent representation of the 1812 appearance - as many others I just doubt that 4-patterend windows in the Hull-Model. But since they seem to  be done in a comparable poor quality - and even in a strange way "added" into that stern, I tend to believe they have not been done by the same person doing so many things with so much care. Compare to the gallery windows .. So I guess that 4-pane-windows have been a "compromise" - as Olof Eriksen is interpreting: maybe done in a hurry before Hull left the ship and crew..  By the way: the Hull model stern windows are not squared as the Smithonian- and the Revell-model ones ..

What you did here with those windows is an excellent adaption of the Corné paintings and as I think - the most likely appearance of 1812.

VERY COOL - Looking forward to see it colored.

Hope you are doing fine and looking forward seeing more inspirational results from your beautiful build.

Edited by Marcus.K.