Bluenose by Reindeer - Model Shipways

Model Shipways Bluenose Build Log 10-02-14

Hello everyone! Once again wanted to say thanks for the very warm greetings and overall wonderful site! I've seen numerous comments about doing a build log for help and encouragement, and that seems like a great idea, so here we go! :-)

This is my first attempt with building a wooden ship model. With what research I have done, this seems like as good a choice as any. Aside from the ship generally being a pleasing design (at least in my eye! LOL!) there is also a wealth of resources and information available. The original Bluenose was built just a few years before my parents were born, and with the recent rebuilding and rechristening of the Bluenose II, it certainly is a subject that is very current. The ship does hold historical significance, and I suspect it has had a MAJOR influence on modern yacht racing.

The reasons in particular for going with the Model Shipways version is:

1. Cost. Model Expo is currently offering a 40% discount on the kit (Code EM40), and the price dropped by $20 this morning, so I was able to purchase the model for $104, and had enough left over for the paints and a fresh set of chisels.

2. Scale. The fact that this model is in 1:64 (S-Scale) is a nice size to work with, and should make obtaining accessories like crew members not too difficult.

3. Wealth of build information. Gary Brinker over on YouTube (That is his channel name BTW) is doing a detailed build log of his model, and thus far has done a wonderful job showing both his progress and the issues with this kit. Also there are any number of other build logs, practicums, and pictures to work with.

4. Instructions and plans. Again from the comments I have read elsewhere, this model seems to be the best of the bunch in this regard. For a first time out, my opinion is this would be critical.

5. Accuracy. I actually was looking at the Latina version of the Bluenose II initially, and while it does make a nice looking model (especially with all the brass parts!), I have to agree that it has quite a few differences from the actual Bluenose II. Can't speak for the Billings kit in that regard, but again considering the MS version cost less than half, it made the choice there pretty obvious.

So where am I at this point? OK, the kit has been ordered as of this morning, and I should have all the tools necessary for the build (Although I thought it would be a good idea to get a fresh set of chisels while I was at it), so all I need now is glue! LOL!

Otherwise I have been gathering resources and looking through them, and thinking ahead on how I want to approach this project. Looking at the way the hull goes together, it doesn't look radically different from building up a wing for an R/C airplane (which I have done a few times). Admittedly the planking aspect has me a little intimidated, but hopefully it's just a matter of working slowly and carefully. :-)

Anyway, here are the resources I have been able to find online:

First, the MS Bluenose instruction manual

http://www.historicships.com/TALLSHIPS/Model%20Shipways/Bluenose%20MS2130/Bluenose%20ms2130%20Manual.pdf

Gene Bodnar's practicum on modeling the Bluenose I

http://modelshipbuilder.com/e107_images/custom/msbimages/eisnor/bn-1-4/Bluenose%20Practicum%20Standard.pdf

Another series of articles on modeling the Bluenose.

http://modelboatyard.com/Bluenose2_Articles/

Robert E. Hunt's practicum... This only goes as far as the bulkhead assembly. Obviously he's looking for the modeler to purchase the rest of the document. Still a lot of useful information here!

http://www.lauckstreetshipyard.com/PDF/bluenose_sample.pdf

Photo journal of the actual construction of the Bluenose II. While I realize that there are differences between that and the original craft, the BN II was intended to be a reproduction, and I'm ASSUMING that the base construction/planking is going to remain essentially the same.

http://www.mdphoto.ca/photos--mark-doucette.html

Boating 101... useful for learning some of the basic parts of the ship!

http://fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ship/beginner.htm

I've also managed to obtain copies of the following books:

1. Rigging Period Ship Models - Lannart Petersson

2. Planking Model Ships - Richard Mansir

3. Ship Modeling Simplified - F. Mastini

4. Ship Modeling Hints and Tips - Jason Craine

5. The Ship Model Builders Assistant - Charles G. Davis

Finally Gary Brinker's YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPSQwZrSrxoIlsdUGhSipeA

So that's about where things stand. All I can do now is wait for the kit to arrive! :)

Looks like you've got quite the array of resources already gathered.  You should do great!  I started my first build by grabbing the kit from the store along with a few random tools and glue, and went to town, so you should be much better prepared than I was.

I did find the build log here was a great help to me.  Not only did I get some great feedback during the build, but the very existence of the build motivated me to perhaps put just a little more effort and care into her than I would have if nobody else was ever going to see it if I failed miserably and deposited the entire mess into the garbage.

I also read as many other build logs as I can, since many of the things you'll be doing are not dependent on the type of ship at all (planking for example, or general woodworking or rigging techniques and tips), and you'll find many great ideas in other peoples build logs.

Look forward to seeing this get going, best of luck!

Hi Gary,

welcome to the forum and to the group of people building a Bluenose  :cheers:

As you might have noticed there are a lot of Bluenose build logs here on MSW which contain valuable information. I am building a Bluenose myself and have discussions about issues with fellow Bluenose builders on a regular basis via the build logs which is very helpful.

Another great source which you might want to check out is http://novascotia.ca/archives/virtual/bluenose/default.asp?Language=English

Here you can find lots of original pictures of the Bluenose. In fact I downloaded and printed them all for reference  :)

I'll be following your log with interest!

Fair winds and following seas,

Jan-Willem

current build: Billing Boats Bluenose "the anonymous schooner" (enhanced-bashed-scratched-whatever) in a scale between 1:55 and 1:69

Hi Gary -

That is an impressive list of resources you have accumulated.  I watched one of the YouTube videos - the guy sounds how I felt when I first started the build.  Coming from the plastic model world, I expected detailed instructions and was disturbed that they weren't there.  Now when I watch him complain there is no measurement listed for the air port, I think to myself "pick up that nifty caliper you have and measure it!".

Wood modeling is a different world, and has it's own set of quirks.  Stick with it, ask questions, and think ahead- you'll do fine.  I am loooking forward to watching another Bluenose come to life!

The link Jan-Willem gave you to the Nova Scotia archive site is VERY useful.  There is nothing like seeing a photo of the real thing to answer some nagging question.

Bob

Current build -- MS Bluenose

Future build - MS Flying Fish

"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for." - William G. T. Shedd

OK, here we go!

10/14/14 Kit arrived. Unfortunately due to a heavy day only got as far as the unboxing. Did have a chance to pick up a 32" x 12" pane of glass from Home Depot for a whopping $7.50 which I will be using as my building surface. Reason for this is that glass is naturally a very flat surface, and as such will be critical to laying the keel and otherwise helping me to keep things square during the initial stages.

10/15/14 Performed inventory of parts, everything seems to be there. However, at least for now I'm kind of taking their word for it that all the blocks and pulleys are there as I'm still getting things together and don't want to risk having a zillion little parts wandering around! LOL! Also rolled plans in an attempt to smooth out the creases. Also thinking about any shops locally that can handle large format copies and having another set of prints run. Purpose is so I can cut them and mark them up as I see fit without ruining the originals.

Side note: Already have a tiny coffee stain on one of the sheets... I'm taking this to be a good omen! LOL!

Otherwise I'm going to take a couple of days at the very least and spend time absorbing the plans and instruction manual. I can also see I'm going to need to get some other supplies as well.

On that note, will be replacing the kit flag... the Canadian Maple Leaf didn't come into existence until 1965, long after the Bluenose was sold off. Question is, do I go after the Red Ensign or the Blue Ensign? The Blue Ensign was used for the Canadian Navy, while the Red Ensign was used on land and for commercial shipping. HOWEVER I did see a passage online to the effect that the Blue Ensign was authorized for use with yacht clubs of which the Bluenose might fall under due to it's participation as a racing vessel.

Pictures coming soon!

Hi Gary,

welcome to the forum and to the group of people building a Bluenose  :cheers:

As you might have noticed there are a lot of Bluenose build logs here on MSW which contain valuable information. I am building a Bluenose myself and have discussions about issues with fellow Bluenose builders on a regular basis via the build logs which is very helpful.

Another great source which you might want to check out is http://novascotia.ca/archives/virtual/bluenose/default.asp?Language=English

Here you can find lots of original pictures of the Bluenose. In fact I downloaded and printed them all for reference  :)

I'll be following your log with interest!

Hi Gary -

That is an impressive list of resources you have accumulated.  I watched one of the YouTube videos - the guy sounds how I felt when I first started the build.  Coming from the plastic model world, I expected detailed instructions and was disturbed that they weren't there.  Now when I watch him complain there is no measurement listed for the air port, I think to myself "pick up that nifty caliper you have and measure it!".

Wood modeling is a different world, and has it's own set of quirks.  Stick with it, ask questions, and think ahead- you'll do fine.  I am loooking forward to watching another Bluenose come to life!

The link Jan-Willem gave you to the Nova Scotia archive site is VERY useful.  There is nothing like seeing a photo of the real thing to answer some nagging question.

Bob

Yes, thank you for the link to the Bluenose history page! Its already answered a few questions that I had.

Hi Gary,

good to read that everything arrived well and complete. I work on a glass tabletop (which I can illuminate from below), but I rarely work on the glass itself. It is very practical because, as you mentioned, it is FLAT, you do not lose small pieces, etc., but I do not really like the touch of it (cold and hard) and it does not react well to sanding paper, powertools like a Dremel and it is not a good surface to cut on. So I put a big cutting mat on it  :D

It will be great however to put your model on or even for glueing things which need to be flat (keel etc.) because glues do not tend to stick to glass as well as they do to wood. 

Regarding the flag: my kit contains (a crappy version of) the red ensign. I am not going to use it because it would make my model look like a toddler's toy  :(

From the pictures in the archive (the link I posted) I can conclude that the Bluenose bore all kinds of flags or none at all, depending on the occasion (quite a few pictures taken during races). There are a few pictures where the bears an ensign and from the shades of gray I would conclude it is the red ensign.

Fair winds and following seas,

Jan-Willem

current build: Billing Boats Bluenose "the anonymous schooner" (enhanced-bashed-scratched-whatever) in a scale between 1:55 and 1:69

• 2 months later...

One item I will recommend based on my build and my next build plan is to get blocks and rope from syrenshipmodelcompany.com to replace the stuff that comes with the kit. the standard blocks and rope are junk next to the stuff you can get.

also the thin railing that is in one of the pre cut sheets is a total Bi&$%@   to get out of the sheet and get on the model w/o breaking, be very very very carefull with that part!!

last is some of the details in the plans are hard to do at the scale given,  I took a few shortcuts in my build that I am ok with. some folks have got more of the small bits made but it's a question of how detailed you want to get and do you have the skill at some of the small metal working needed to make turn buckles and such from tiny bits of wire and strips of brass.

Holding at Rigging stage :

MS Bluenose 1:64, rigging and finish work

Building Hull :

MS Fair American 1:48

In the yard:  18th Century Longboat, Model Shipways Kit

Done: AL Bounty Jolly Boat