Review of the Admiralty Model Sail-making Workshop, NOTL

AON

Good morning world

I am feeling exceptionally chipper this fine Sunday morning having spent two days attending the sail-making seminar held in historical Niagara on the Lake (a 34 minute drive for me).

What a fantastically wonderful experience!  I am relatively new to all this and felt I should mention the comradery you feel from the help you get on this site DOES actually extend to real life meetings.

Of course my sorrowful looking first attempt at a sail is nothing to brag about but I have never learnt so much about 17th century sails (and other off menu ship building tidbits) that I just had to post a review.  I am actually thinking of framing and hanging my first miserable sail in my workshop as a reminder of the experience.

Just felt I had to share this feeling I am having.

David Antscherl is a wonderfully knowledgeable and patient instructor.  Unfortunately Greg Herbert could not be there;  I was so looking forward to meeting the gentleman.

I said it before and I'll say it again (and again, and again ....) what a wonderful site and fantastic group.

Thank you.

Alan

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

We're glad you had a positive experience Alan. For anyone wishing to take the two day course we are offering it one more time in Baltimore, MD, December 12-13. A few seats are available. Details on our website http://www.admiraltymodels.com. Or you may contact me at dvm27@comcast.net.

post-505-0-98650600-1415544306_thumb.jpg

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Framed and Hung

Decided to add a bit of artistic look by cutting it clear of the bolt rope with a ragged edge

The frame is see through both sides so I can look at the reverse if I need to refresh my memory of the work on that side.

post-9868-0-62589300-1415612379.jpg

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)