When building POB double planked kits is it better to apply the stem, keel and sternpost to the false keel, BEFORE or AFTER, planking the hull. I've seen both ways in different builds. Which way would more likely give the best results? I'm a little

about the after process.

Kurt

Member: Ship Model Society of New Jersey

Hi Kurt

I typically rework the kit if the stempost keel and sternpost are part of the false keel.I fit the stem and keel after first planking and fairing.I leave the sternpost until after the second planking.This allows you to lay the second planking overlength and trim everything in one go,making it easier to get a nice tight join to the sternpost.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

Thank you.I always try to have the stem and keel joined together before fitting.This joint can then be clamped to a flat board.I clamp something straight to the keel  and stempost when gluing in position.Generally anything long enough I have laying around,this can be as simple as a long metal ruler edge on,or even a spirit level if the keel is large enough to warrant it(no use for the bubble,just for it's straight properties).When the glue is fully dry,I then pin with brass or copper wire and epoxy glue.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Edited by NMBROOK

Currently working on Royal Caroline

Thank you.I always try to have the stem and keel joined together before fitting.This joint can then be clamped to a flat board.I clamp something straight to the keel  and stempost when gluing in position.Generally anything long enough I have laying around,this can be as simple as a long metal ruler edge on,or even a spirit level if the keel is large enough to warrant it(no use for the bubble,just for it's straight properties).When the glue is fully dry,I then pin with brass or copper wire and epoxy glue.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Very useful tip, Nigel, I'll use it for my Brick de 24, too!

Thx

Fam

Joint building:

Brick de 24, 1/48, jointly with Jack Aubrey (POB from Ancre plans)

Works in progress:

USS Constitution Cross Section, 1:93 (POF bashed from Mamoli kit)

Completed models:

Santìsima Trinidad, 1/90 (POB heavily modified DeAgostini kit)

Genoan Pinco, 1/50 (POB bashed from Euromodel plans - my current avatar)

Viking Knarr, 1/72 (POF from Dusek kit)