Cutty Sark by townpiper - FINISHED - Constructo - 1/90

Still at it but it takes time and research. Had a real tough time figuring out block placement on the yards .Longridge's book is helpful, but I personally need a more visual approach, So I bought the plans from the Sark Museum- helpful but I found them a little less detailed than I would have liked. But it gave me a visual--so I was able to make a reasonable  guess. I assembled the masts, but I didn't use the authentic Sark design for the tops--art get in the way of authenticity sometimes. For the last month or so it's been sail loft time....had to learn  to use my wife's Singer--no small feat, and the Admiral is a great teacher.So a couple weeks  cutting and stitching sails. Past 2 weeks attaching bolt ropes. I put 24 ga wire in the sides and bottom  hems of each sail for later use in forming "active " sails. Have about 10 sails to go. After I attach reef lines, the net project will be attaching sails to the yards.Staysails will go on when I rig her.

Had a bit if a catastrophe-knocked the ship off the stand.. no major damage-had to repair the rails , replace a few stanchions , and fix the bowsprit. But it worked out OK. 

Trying to figure out how to attach  photos in this new format

• 5 months later...

IMG_0190.odg

Ahoy  Mates--Been some time since my last post. Still going on the Cutty. Quite a PIA trying to find accurate rigging plans for dummies. The plans from the museum-- MEH.  Longridge's book is helpful but more drawings and photos would have been better.

So...Got the masts  and yards assembled, sails stitched and attached Shrouds /.deadeyes done, ratlines on top and tgallant done. Took  some liberties with the tops- but the ship is going to my house, not a museum.. Had to redo the bowsprit to allow placement of hearts for forestay. Foremast stepped, w standing rigging ,shrouds, ratlines and backstays in place, Forestays done , bowsprit rigged-- had to take out single blocks I had originally installed for the rigging on favor of hearts . I ran out of pre made ones, so had to use a 1/8 dowel cut to size and drilled in the center- did this by holding the cut blank in a hemostat and drilling. Pre-rigged the double blocks for halyards the mast. Less hassle doing it beforehand and attaching the assembly to the deck ring  BEFORE installing the whole assembly (w/ring) the mast foot. Rigged the forestay sails. 

Had some trouble with breakage of the lower yard metal braces---cheap pot metal  , while trying to set up the fore course. So I had to rip it down, and cyano the part back together. Put a small metal rod in the mast and yard as a brace. 

Next step-installing and rigging the rest.. I find it easier to rig the foremast, then the bowsprit, then staysails before the forecourse, etc. Less stuff to have to crawl over that way...I work then fore to aft.

Cheers.

Fair winds and following seas to ya.

IMG_0193.JPG

IMG_0231.JPG

IMG_0232.JPG

IMG_0233.JPG

IMG_0234.JPG

IMG_0242.JPG

IMG_0243.JPG

IMG_0245.JPG

IMG_0246.JPG

IMG_0247.JPG

IMG_0248.JPG

IMG_0249.JPG

IMG_0250.JPG

IMG_0251.JPG

IMG_0252.JPG

IMG_0255 (2).JPG

IMG_0256 (2).JPG

IMG_0257 (3).JPG

IMG_0257.JPG

IMG_0258 (2).JPG

IMG_0258 (3).JPG

IMG_0258 (4).JPG

IMG_0259 (2).JPG

IMG_0259 (3).JPG

IMG_0260.JPG

Very nice work. Go on !

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

• 5 months later...

Ok Mates- Finally completed this build. Constructo's rigging plans were bare -bones adequate , so I followed Longridge and the museum plans as much as possible. Added buntlines, brails etc. which meant more needed belaying space . I exercised Captain's privilege and added pin racks, deck rings as needed. -whatever made sense to me. Halyards were made of twisted wire to simulate chains and per Longridge using double purchases attached to a ring on the deck and belayed to the rail. Its not a museum piece but its good enough for my living room.Here are the pix:

Next up: Model Shipways 1/64 Pride of Baltimore II. I've seen this ship in BMore's Inner Harbor and it's a beauty.Hope I can do it justice.

IMG_0308.JPG

IMG_0306.JPG

IMG_0305.JPG

IMG_0304.JPG

IMG_0303.JPG

IMG_0302.JPG

IMG_0301.JPG

IMG_0300.JPG

IMG_0299.JPG

IMG_0298.JPG

IMG_0297.JPG

IMG_0296.JPG