Welcome to Model Ship World
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

NAIAD II, Ed Tosti (Moved by moderator)

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

Mark Adams

Mark Adams
  • Members
  • 17 posts
  • LocationNevada

As a side note, I noticed that my Naiad II was missing plans sheet 13. I called Bob at SeaWatch, and he said there  IS NO sheet 13. So, just be aware!

Mark, the crazy Yank!

Current builds;

DeAgostini 1/16 Zero, Hachette 1/16 Stuka, Hachette 1/200 Bismarck and Hood, DeAgostini D51 locomotive, and DeAgostini MP4/23 McClaren

EdT

EdT
  • Members
  • 1,556 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania USA

Mark, Drawing 13 was included with Volume I.  There is a list of the full sized drawings for both volumes in the addenda on the Volume I forum topic.

Ed

powdermonkey

powdermonkey
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA

Mark, Drawing 13 was included with Volume I.  There is a list of the full sized drawings for both volumes in the addenda on the Volume I forum topic.

Ed

As a side note, I noticed that my Naiad II was missing plans sheet 13. I called Bob at SeaWatch, and he said there  IS NO sheet 13. So, just be aware!

He he, I came across this issue last night and honestly initially thought this had something to do with superstition! :P True to old maritime form.  

Then I found the list for drawings - problem solved. Wish I had come here first.

By the way Ed, FANTASTIC series! I would say an absolute must for any scratch builder. I'm just getting my feet wet in scratch building, and this series has helped the learning curve tremendously.

When does the next series come out?  ;)

Edited by powdermonkey, 01 April 2014 - 03:27 PM.

EdT

EdT
  • Members
  • 1,556 posts
Thank you, powdermonkey.

At present there is no plan for more books, but the possibility exists for a similar set on Young America. I have made no decision yet.

Ed

EdT

EdT
  • Members
  • 1,556 posts

The Naiad Frigate Volume II – Addenda

As with Volume I, I will post addenda as necessary to Volume II  of The Naiad Frigate, here on this forum topic.  Here is the first:

Volume II, Addendum 1

First a printing omission:

In the final book production process the last paragraph and part of the preceding paragraph of Chapter 28 was somehow left out.  The last two paragraphs of Chapter 28. p 102 should read.:

"You may wish to forgo the complexities described above in favor of simpler joints.  The quality of your models will not suffer simplification in these minor details.  However, I hope that the process described above will entice you to construct these authentically.

When the lower deck hatchways are installed, the ladders to the orlop level platforms can be added.  In keeping with our sequence and chapter arrangement, other lower decks details, partitions for example, will be covered with the upper deck framing in Chapter 31."

Some additional information on supporting the model during construction – not included in Volume II.

Once the rudder is installed the stern end support described in Volume I cannot be used.  A different method was adopted for the remaining construction.  The new supports made it easy to invert and replace the model in the upright position as required.

Initially, the two “clamped squares” were used to support and hold alignment by butting them up to the sides with the model screwed down to the board – as shown in the following picture:

1.jpg

With the clamps in position, a triangle is being used to center the top of the stern.  Whenever the model is turned upright, repositioned or when the clamped squares are moved, this process should be repeated - fore and aft.  It may be tempting not to do it if no precision construction is being done, but I recommend doing it every time to get in the habit.  It is also possible that you may wish to take an unexpected measurement or dimension check.  It takes only a moment to do this.  In the picture it was being done before starting some work on the taffrail.

Another type of support was constructed for this purpose as shown in the next picture:

2.jpg

The clamping base was made from pine strips.  Thesupport block was made of another soft wood, in this case white cedar, but any soft wood will suffice.  The top inside corner of the block should be rounded.  I made four of these.

The next picture shows these supports being used.  They are more versatile than the clamped squares.  They fit nicely out of the way on the lower hull.  Make sure the holddown bolts through the keel are tight and do not neglect the alignment check

3.jpg

The last picture shows the four supports supporting the finished model.

4.jpg

The above is also attached as a pdf that can be printed.

Attached File  Naiad Frigate Volume II Addendum 1.pdf   1.65MB   215 downloads

Edited by EdT, 27 April 2014 - 07:08 PM.

• mtaylor, Aussie048, AON and 1 other like this

SJSoane

SJSoane
  • Members
  • 598 posts
  • LocationColorado, USA

Hi Ed,

Very ingenious! Thanks for showing this. I made some chocks a number of years ago (see photo), but I got nervous about leaving them for a long time because the finish might not "weather" as much behind the chocks as the rest of the hull, and I wasn't sure how I would fix it. You have given me an idea of putting some smaller "buttons" on the chocks so they touch less of the hull, and then using your great idea of using the side T-sections to clamp them in place. The other problem with mine is that the hull has to be removed to bolt the chocks in place. Your idea solves that problem.

Thanks!

Mark

Attached Thumbnails

• zOBJ_Bellona_20100613_131.jpg

• Aussie048 and aviaamator like this

Current build: HMS Bellona 74, ca. 1760, 1:64

http://modelshipworl...60-as-designed/

tkay11

tkay11
  • Members
  • 1,132 posts
  • LocationKentish Town, London, UK

Is there a table of contents available for Volume II? Sorry if I missed it but I'm interested in buying the set and just wanted to check out what additional info is provided in the second volume.

Thanks

Tony

• mtaylor likes this

===
First build: Caldercraft HM Cutter Sherbourne 1763 FINISHED

2nd and current build: Triton cross-section

EdT

EdT
  • Members
  • 1,556 posts

Tony,

The tables of contents in both Volume I and II are somewhat abbreviated.  I have attached more detailed versions that I prepared before final publication.  However, with very few exceptions, these reflect the content of the books, by sub-chapter headings.  I hope these will be helpful.

Thanks for your interest in the books.

Ed

Attached Files

• mtaylor, tkay11 and Canute like this

tkay11

tkay11
  • Members
  • 1,132 posts
  • LocationKentish Town, London, UK

That's really great, Ed. Thanks a lot!

I've only built one kit (Sherbourne) and am moving through the Triton Cross-Section -- which I'm enjoying immensely. I'm really tempted to move on to the Naiad after the cross-section, but fear it may be too much to take on without more experience so I may buy the books at least to gain an insight into the techniques used and try to decide whether I need to postpone taking it on and build other fully framed models before doing so.

Thanks also for the wonderful build logs you have made and continue to make!

Tony

• mtaylor, Dubz and Canute like this

===
First build: Caldercraft HM Cutter Sherbourne 1763 FINISHED

2nd and current build: Triton cross-section

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome GUEST to the Model Ship World Community.
Please LOGIN or REGISTER to use all of our feautures.