Charles W Morgan by Calhoun Zabel - RESTORATION - Warning: Graphic

Cal- I think the aft stand should be shorter, the size of the forward stand.  The shape is fine, may be a little thinner.  I would line the stands, where they contact the hull, with felt.  Just an old guys opinion.  Good luck with the Rigging.  Re-doing rigging , in my opinion , is harder then starting new.-Hal  

Thanks for your input Steve, I agree. V3 were cut out today, out of 0.25" MDF. Most dimensions were shrunk considerably in addition. 

I think they're looking much better:

747012592_IMG_20180803_222327-Copy.thumb.jpg.f03df6f1bdca16cccc0f0fe47455e9ad.jpg

Hal, you replied as I was typing this, and I agree - the aftmost support needs to be reduced in height, because it still looks a little goofy. It also needs some hand shaping to match the shape of the hull. It could be done on the CNC, but it's probably quicker to do by hand. I was wondering if I should line them with something. We've got lots of thin foam gasket material at work that I'll probably use. Something black, so it's well hidden.

I've got another question... Are the anchor chains supposed to be threaded through these rings on deck? If not, why are they so perfectly placed there and unused?

21059134_IMG_20180805_104436-Copy.thumb.jpg.42dd0e9b350cd519d0522be0ffbbef5d.jpg

Edited by Calhoun Zabel
Fixed first image

• 8 months later...

I have the same exact built up model.  All the lines are correct and in place.  I can take pictures of it and where all the lines attach. My late father-in-law spent his retirement like your grandfather building model ships.  I love this one that he did.  Are you far along now in restoration?  Did you get the Artesiana Latina Charles Morgan model plans?