Sakonnet Daysailer by Andrew B - Midwest Products - Small

Started this build a while ago now and made slow progress while in class, finally have time to make a log and make more progress. I am building this kit as a gift to my gf, the John Alden Sloop was what I was originally going build, but it is far too big for where she wants to put it. That build has been sidelined for now and will be continued once I get to rigging this model.

The Sakonnet daysailer is based off a John Alden design and I have found archived plans that very closely mirror the hull in the kit.

This kit is exceptionally small with simple lines and detail. Here the frames and keel are laid out on an 8.5”x11” piece of paper

8908668458_7a54ec190a_b.jpg
Frames and keel prepped by Batson Photography, on Flickr

The frames and keel glued in place

8908052019_2ae12e9c24_b.jpg
Frame and keel assembly by Batson Photography, on Flickr

If you look at the framed hull at the top of the picture, you can see I added the chine rail before the deck. I had read the directions so many times I had a false confidence and proceeded with gluing them in place without referencing the directions. By doing so the pre-cut deck did not line up because I had created a slight twist in the hull with the chines. After removing the chine, the keel straightened out, I glued the deck and replaced the chine. This worked out to my benefit as the included deck was not a uniform color so I cut the deck from a sheet of bass wood with a more uniform color and nicer grain pattern.

8908661044_6be5fe72af_b.jpg
new deck by Batson Photography, on Flickr

The Daysailer with its big brother on the building board

8908048629_454b3ebc7c_b.jpg
framed hull and deck 2 by Batson Photography, on Flickr

8908672138_0f8bb51a20_b.jpg
framed hull and deck by Batson Photography, on Flickr

Port side planked and trimmed, I found the planking slightly difficult as the sheets are fairly think for being bent in such a small area even after steaming.

8908029159_67dcbcee93_b.jpg
Port side planked and trimmed by Batson Photography, on Flickr

8908018597_bdc5213ebb_b.jpg
Starboard side plank by Batson Photography, on Flickr

Hull fully planked, sanded and filled, and making the keel thicker. The keel had developed a slight curve after planking the bottom of the hull from steaming the balsa sheet. To correct this I glued a piece of 1/32" basswood on each side of the keel. the keel look much more proportionate being thicker.

8908664384_212ee187c6_b.jpg
Hull by Batson Photography, on Flickr

In order to keep the seem between the keel and rudder smooth I also made the rudder thicker below the waterline.

8908022241_ff98b0da6c_b.jpg
rudder as supplied by Batson Photography, on Flickr

8908025441_df58391311_b.jpg
rudder as supplied 2 by Batson Photography, on Flickr

8908642018_079a16b4da_b.jpg
thicker rudder 2 by Batson Photography, on Flickr

8908011829_6f096c8c9a_b.jpg
Thicker rudder by Batson Photography, on Flickr

Now I have put a coat of primer on the hull and rudder and sanded it. It needs one more pass of filler and I will finally get to painting.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks good Andrew, I hope she likes it.

Thank you! She loves it so far, finally found a color she likes for the bottom paint. Just finished the, hopefully, last coat of white polyurethane. Once the hull if painted everything else should go fairly quick until I start rigging. This will be the first model I ever rigged sails on.

• 1 month later...

Finally made more progress. Working slowly as usual.

Achieved a nice smooth glossy finish on the white and then airbrushed the bottom.

9356138503_2070927da1_b.jpg
DSC_0140 by Batson Photography, on Flickr

9356135721_06ed22b65b_b.jpg
DSC_0141 by Batson Photography, on Flickr

I had made the base from the suppied design. This is only to provide an upright means of working on it. I will be attaching the finished boat to a board and making a closed display case.

9358907262_8f76b8c7df_b.jpg
DSC_0142 by Batson Photography, on Flickr

I had made the stand posts out of brass rod and tubing. The brass tube was glued to the stand and hull and the brass rod slid into it. This way i can remove the hull from the stand as many times as needed and i do not have to worry about ruining the keel and endges of the holes.

I made a template for the floor out of the floor from the kit.

9356129525_9146c4672b_b.jpg
DSC_0143 by Batson Photography, on Flickr

9358900292_17ee14ba7a_b.jpg
DSC_0144 by Batson Photography, on Flickr

I built the mock up floor right over it. The finished floor will be mahogany planked.

9358896810_fc60b4e0c7_b.jpg
DSC_0145 by Batson Photography, on Flickr

Currently working on a template for the seats, constructed in similar fashion as the floor.

That paint job is great!

Casey

"I drank what?" - Socrates

Current Builds:  

Finished Builds: 

Future Builds:        

• Mamoli Golden Hind
  • Mamoli Black Prince
  • AL Swift

• 1 month later...

Haven't updated this in a while, I tend to get lazy with my forum threads. :(

I have made some progress since the last update. I have built and installed the seats and floor, installed the rub rail and toe rail, and installed the cockpit coaming.

Now I am in the process of drafting a new sail plan. I am not completely satisfied with the rigging plan, plus my girlfriend (who the model is for) likes a gaff rigged setup more.

All that's left is to hang the rudder, place the deck fitting (which I will wait until I figure out the rigging plan to do), and rig the sails.

9676237366_5b5709d6ec_b.jpg
DSC_0146 by Batson Photography, on Flickr

9676236142_ee74dd7bfc_b.jpg
DSC_0147 by Batson Photography, on Flickr

9676234898_f3dfc4d814_b.jpg
DSC_0149 by Batson Photography, on Flickr

9673006539_f8c17346fb_b.jpg
DSC_0150 by Batson Photography, on Flickr

9676232518_87ffa030ef_b.jpg
DSC_0153 by Batson Photography, on Flickr

9676231392_06a98905d0_b.jpg
DSC_0154 by Batson Photography, on Flickr

9676230338_c4508119ea_b.jpg
DSC_0155 by Batson Photography, on Flickr

9676229346_a6a78193a6_b.jpg
DSC_0156 by Batson Photography, on Flickr

• 1 month later...

The hull looks amzing, What kind of Grain filler did you use ? the paint job is Fantastic

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

The hull looks amzing, What kind of Grain filler did you use ? the paint job is Fantastic

I used a few coats of minwax clear epoxy to stand the loose fibers for sanding, then filled the low area with spackle. To eliminate any grain showing I used a few coats of high build primer followed by 4-5 thin coats of Interlux Brightside white epoxy with wet sanding between the last 2 coats. For the bottom paint I used testors flat enamel and applied it with an airbrush. I am very pleased ith the finish created by the airbrush, up close it give the appearance of an ablative paint.

Hi Andrew, Thank you for the tips it looks fantastic I never thought about using Interlux ( I have used it on full size boats) I would like to get that kind of finish on the lobster smack I am about to start.

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Andrew looks great!  those side rails are looking nice.

Is that a semi gloss finish on the deck?

Casey

"I drank what?" - Socrates

Current Builds:  

Finished Builds: 

Future Builds:        

• Mamoli Golden Hind
  • Mamoli Black Prince
  • AL Swift

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Andrew, excellent work on your model. What finish did you use on the cockpit trim and toe rail to get it to all match so well? I'm building the same boat right now and not sure how I'm going to finish those parts. I tried varnish on scrap, but I might need to use a stain. Anyone else have recommendations?

• 1 month later...

Andrew, excellent work on your model. What finish did you use on the cockpit trim and toe rail to get it to all match so well? I'm building the same boat right now and not sure how I'm going to finish those parts. I tried varnish on scrap, but I might need to use a stain. Anyone else have recommendations?

Sorry for the absence everyone, Hobbies died out with my last 2 years of school being stressful. 

All the rails are mahogany coated in gloss minwax polyurethane, I prefer the color and grain structure of actual mahogany over staining balsa or basswood.