Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Profile Information

  • Location
    Parsippany, New Jersey
  • Interests
    RC airplanes, RC sailplanes, FPV and AP drones, Plastic airplane modeling (WW II) 1:48, Plastic armor modeling (WW II) 1:72, Wood small boat modeling, restoring and riding bicycles
  1. So using wood glue now, I find tiny pieces stay in place long enough to stick without clamping. I do let the glue thicken a bit (by waiting for a couple of minutes) before putting the pieces together. Front nose jig will be removed after curing timorrow morning. The back board will not sit properly. I'll need to shave off some pieces from the aft sitting boards which will be done tomorrow as well after the glue is dry. Center board left off as per instructional recommendation. It needs the metal bracket and mast to align base mast holder first. Also built the stand as glue was drying. Pieces stayed at right angles while the glue was drying.
  2. That Sir, is exactly what I was looking for, although to ccoyle's point again, the slow cure CA is another very good option. Thank you very much for the guidance, I'll definitely check out your build links and give the wood glue a shot.
  3. On the home stretch now. Having the foot boards in one piece is a brilliant design move. I was dreading putting these on one by one... A couple of things were glued a touch out of alignment as my patience is running out. Will continue tonight as kids are a full time job during the day. Also just wanted to add that I tried to glue the rear grating using wood glue, but after a few minutes, the part curled up. Had to go back to superglue to tack it in place.
  4. Keel in place. Required quite a bit of sanding on the fore part to make it match the boat without significant gaps. In the end had to force fit the last part with superglue.
  5. But how do you hold these tiny weird shapes pieces in place while waiting for the glue to dry? My clamps are way too big and utterly useless for such a tiny application. 😟
  6. Thanks buddy, you can call me Amar. The "rexnuktia" screen name is just a made up thing from years ago when I used to play onlone video games LOL!
  7. As can be seen, a lot of superglue permiated the shrink wrap and stuck it to the hull. I have no idea how it would be possible to build something like this with a slow cure glue! Lots to learn here...
  8. So today was really a struggle. Easily the most difficult part of the build was cutting the ribs 1 mm apart to attach the final top plank. Despite using a brand new blade, I ended up breaking a few formers. Then it got worse as the rear hull got stuck to the jig. Some man handling and jig demolition was required, but luckily I got the boat out in one piece.
  9. Thank you so much guys (ccoyle & Ybes). Really appreciate the help and kind words. I'll keep these names in mind. In fact, I did get a response from the Ebay seller (Valentina) that she has contacted the manufacturer regarding english instructions. Glad I didn't wait LOL.
  10. Coming along... I hope this isn't too much gap between planks?
  11. Cleaned up and added keel. Fit was adequate. Rib insertion was time consuming, but not too bad. I rolled a bend in each using my cutting knife. There is plenty of clearance for these to pass tbrough the holes in the keel and jig. Made only one mistake where one rib cracked and has a bump. I'll try to flatten it using superglue tomorrow before planking.

About us

Modelshipworld - Advancing Ship Modeling through Research

SSL Secured

Your security is important for us so this Website is SSL-Secured

NRG Mailing Address

Nautical Research Guild
237 South Lincoln Street
Westmont IL, 60559-1917

About the NRG

If you enjoy building ship models that are historically accurate as well as beautiful, then The Nautical Research Guild (NRG) is just right for you.

The Guild is a non-profit educational organization whose mission is to “Advance Ship Modeling Through Research”. We provide support to our members in their efforts to raise the quality of their model ships.

The Nautical Research Guild has published our world-renowned quarterly magazine, The Nautical Research Journal, since 1955. The pages of the Journal are full of articles by accomplished ship modelers who show you how they create those exquisite details on their models, and by maritime historians who show you the correct details to build. The Journal is available in both print and digital editions. Go to the NRG web site (www.thenrg.org) to download a complimentary digital copy of the Journal. The NRG also publishes plan sets, books and compilations of back issues of the Journal and the former Ships in Scale and Model Ship Builder magazines.

Our Emblem

Modelshipworld - Advancing Ship Modeling through Research
  • Create New...