Jump to content

DanielD

Members
  • Content Count

    213
  • Joined

  • Last visited

1 Follower

Profile Information

  • Gender
    Male
  • Location
    Washington State, US

Recent Profile Visitors

513 profile views
  1. Good morning everyone! I have been very busy with work and now that the weather is nice again, working outside at our place. Great work everyone on the continued research. I am still working on my davits, so many parts, and I'm trying to stay consistent with chemically darkening the metal parts which can be a royal pain, but in the end it looks good. I'm intrigued about the "curved" davits, how are you making those?
  2. Good evening all. It’s been a few days since my last post and I’ve been busy making metal parts for the davits. Today I started installing them onto the ship.
  3. Keith, thanks for the heads up on that. I do plan to get on that task soon as I recently received an order with the materials for that job. I've been putting it off, not so much for the davits, but for the, sorry I don't know the exact nautical name, railing just inside the bulwarks. I believe it's to hold barrels and supplies, but I'm unclear how all that works so I've avoid the entire area. I've read somewhere, maybe on yours or Keith S build log, about spare spars being store on deck. I'm not sure if that is in the same location. I don't have a copy of the original plans so I get much of my
  4. Thanks all for stopping by and taking a look. I had some extra time today so I started some shroud work on the upper main mast. I choose to use the cable laid turning of the shrouds as this method was primary in use after 1805, or at least my interpretation of the shrouds. My primary reference is The Masting and Rigging of English Ships of War 1625 to 1860.
  5. Good evening everyone and thanks for stopping by! I have been at a loss for awhile now, looking for a basic serving machine but not finding anything available. My first choice is the one made by Syren Ship Model Company, however, maybe due to the pandemic and everyone staying home, they are always out of stock. One day I saw an ad on TV for Legos, and had an idea. When my son was young we did lots of things with lego’s, and still have them, thousands of them. I went for the boxes, found a motor and a controller and set out to make a rope serving machine. Below is a picture and video of what I
  6. A little more work on the main mast today. I think my fingers are just too big for these little tasks 🤔😂
  7. A little more time today, so did a more chain work on the main mast following Lee’s observations as close as I feasibly can.
  8. Good evening everyone. Here is today’s update. I’ve been putting off this project for some time, the creation of the chainplates. I’m not using the ones that came with the kit as they are just simple wire representations. I purchased some pre-made chainplates, that of course requires modification 😬 and I want to stay consistent using chemically tinting the metal (which is a real pain), but looks good in the end. Just time consuming. Only about 60 more to do... what was I thinking.
  9. Thank for your positive comments! This has been such a fun build, but I’m not even close to the finish line. I have learned so much about ships and ship building thanks to Keith (clearway) and Kieth S! I don’t bother getting out my big camera and gear for this project, I just use my iPhone with no special lighting. I hope you have as much fun as I am having with this wonderful historic ship. There is so much to learn and discover with the HMS Terror.
  10. Good evening all! Here is an update on my main mast with a paint job and a few new pieces added.
  11. Hello all, I’ve not posted in awhile as I’ve been working on the main mast. It’s taking a lot longer than I thought! There is so much to build, I had no idea. I’ve been using Lee’s book as my main reference, but also a big thanks to Keith and Keith S for their build logs to help me along the way. My mast is not nearly finished, but the main structure is set.
  12. The HMS Terror and Erebus each had on board two 6 pound signal cannons. Here is my attempt to pay homage to those cannons. They sure are tiny!
  13. Today in the shipyard I took on the task of the bowsprit. Using the dimensions from Lee’s book, this is what I came up with. And thanks Keith for your help setting me straight.
  14. Keith, thank you! I missed that detail. When I went back and looked, it was right there. Next question, I’m having trouble figuring out what is the overlap between the bowsprit and the jibboom. Part of my problem is that I don’t know the terminology, but I’m learning. Thanks for all your help! Update: I found the reference to the distance I’m looking for “one third the length of the jibboom from the cap.” My jibboom is 134mm, so I will install the saddle at 45mm from the cap. Problem solved!
×
×
  • Create New...