Jump to content

Richard44

Members
  • Content Count

    128
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Profile Information

  • Location
    Central Coast, NSW, Australia

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. Thanks for the comments Tim and B.E. and for the “like” Kurt. The starboard side has been completed and cleaned using acetone and very fine steel wool. There is still some cleaning up to do. The stem will be finished once the port side is done. The waterline (tape) looks to be way off at the stern, but it’s simply the angle at which the photo was taken. It was actually difficult to get a decent photo due to the glare off the newly cleaned copper. I didn’t have any real problems doing the coppering, though there were quite a few plates removed and scrapped as they didn’t
  2. For a first time builder, you're doing extremely well. You should be very happy with how the build is going. Cheers
  3. Onto the coppering. Slow and tedious. You can really fix only one plate at a time, instead of a string of three or four. The limiting factor being a race between you positioning the plates and the CA going off without the plates being where they should be - I tried to do this and lost. So plate-by-plate, although there are some places where there is time to position two plates that are still linked. Scissors were used to trim the plates when required. The white patches on the plates in the photos are pieces of rubber gloves, CA bonds to these with a speed that is unbelievable. No a
  4. Hi Tim, These are the ones I bought to replace the Amati ones. But like the ones B.E. bought, they are not complete - barrels only. You'll have to make up yokes for them. Your ship is looking really good. Well done on adding the elm tree brake pumps, these make a nice easy addition. Cheers
  5. As I mentioned in my last post, I had a few small jobs to do before starting the coppering. The first involved the anchor cables about which I have been puzzling for a while. These are fed from the anchors through the hawse holes, but then what? The kit plans and instructions are no help at all. The TFFM gave me the clues I needed, and I should point out here that I have the original Practicum, not the more recently published books which may contain more information. Antscherl says in the TFFM text that there are stopper bolts on the deck which secure the anchor cables by using sho
  6. You're making wonderful progress Eugenio, you must be happy with how the Victory is going.
  7. You can't adjust the speed of the Proxxon. This has never been an issue when sanding wood, but could be if it is used on a plastic model. Edit. Oops. The Proxxon has a choice of two power packs - one of them allows the speed of the tool to be adjusted. 🥴
  8. I have a Proxxon pen sander and can highly recommend it. This is my second one, the first lasted for 20 years or so. As Mark said, these tools are not designed for bulk removal of wood, but I have just used mine to fine sand the second planking on the hull of my Pegasus build. Cheers
  9. The second layer of planking is finally complete!😊. It took quite a while with numerous interruptions including making two small boats (link below). Scale length planks were used below the wale to just below the waterline, and full length planks below that as I intend to copper the hull. The planking below the waterline is not as neat in some places as I would have liked, but it will be covered. There is still some sanding to do, and quite a bit of touching up of the painted areas. A moulding has yet to be fixed between the lower counter and the planks. A few small jobs
  10. I don't think that this has been posted before, so.... The Miracle of Toilet Paper Fresh from my shower, I stand in front of the mirror complaining to my husband that my breasts are too small. Instead of characteristically telling me it's not so, he uncharacteristically comes up with a suggestion. If you want your breasts to grow, then every day take a piece of toilet paper and rub it between them for a few seconds.' Willing to try anything, I fetch a piece of toilet paper and stand in front of the mirror, rubbing it between my breasts. 'How long will this take?' I asked.
  11. Thanks for your comments James. Yes, some swearing was involved especially when I dropped one of the knees (that go on the thwarts) onto brown pile carpet 😬😬. It took me about 20 minutes to find it, using a torch held at a low angle - probably could have made a new one in the same time. Cheers
  12. Once all the ribs were in place in the VM boat, the gunnel was glued in position. The ribs were then trimmed flush with the top of the gunnel. The small slots in the gunnels for the oars, three each side, were carefully cut using a standard razor saw, albeit one with 54tpi. The MK boat has thole blocks (I guess they’re called) on top of the gunnels for the oars. Both boats were then just about complete, but both lacked rudders. The VM kit comes with a wood core (rudder plus tiller) and PE facings to go on each side. The facings have the pintles and gudgeons as shown.
  13. Nice work Eugenio, your latterns look really good, as does the stern. I agree about the chains, they do look oversize. Cheers
×
×
  • Create New...