Jump to content

Acker

Members
  • Posts

    24
  • Joined

  • Last visited

About Acker

  • Birthday 03/25/1945

Profile Information

  • Gender
    Male
  • Location
    Healesville, Victoria, Australia

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. Thanks GrandpaPhil, the likes are much appreciated and encouraging. Enjoying fitting the standing rigging but kept busting the swivel guns off the bow. Note to anyone building the Supply - never mind what the instructions say, don't fix the swivel guns until right at the end! I will have to make new fixings and put them back on later. Also managed to break the very top of the mainmast above the topgallant, have glued it back on but it is now a bit crooked and I might have to remake and fit a new topgallant mast [strong swear word deleted]. Plan sheet number 4 - standing rigging completed, photos following. Now for fitting the yards - plan sheet 5.
  2. Shrouds and ratlines finished at last. Found the shrouds to be the most difficult process so far on this build, getting the correct tension and getting the deadeyes level was very difficult, but liked doing the ratlines. Attaching the shroud cleats was also tricky at first but got easier after the first couple. Started on plan sheet number 4, hooray. Forestay and mainstay fitted. Still in lockdown and new covid cases in Victoria rising exponentially.
  3. Thanks Jobbie, it has taken me just over a year so far but I didn't start my build log until the end of June so it only looks like rapid progress. Your "Supply" was one of the build logs that inspired and motivated me in the earlier stages so I can blame you for getting me into this malarkey! Thanks for that.☺️ I am rigging the lower shrouds at the moment and getting the deadeyes roughly level and the tension right is proving tricky but I am nearly there, then on to the ratlines which I enjoy. Thanks also to Landlubber Mike and Fernando E for your likes, and Dfell - who was also partly responsible for helping get me into this modelling madness!👍
  4. Is there anyway to get photographs in portrait orientation to stay in portrait when they upload to the build log? Covid lockdown number 5 ended two weeks ago. Lockdown number 6 just started, what a shambles but I guess it may save help some lives. My first attempt at shrouds on the topmast. Reminds me of my old school reports - "could do better"....
  5. Rigging !!! 3mm deadeyes !!!, shrouds !!!, ratlines !!! Covid lockdown number 5 !!! If I wasn't so bloody stubborn I would have given up. Well I read up as much as I could and battled on. My first experience with deadeyes on the bowsprit....
  6. Thanks Mike your comments are much appreciated. All the best with your Lady Nelson - looks like you're getting some good advice and it's coming along nicely. Thanks also to Chris Watton, nzreg, Rockin Budgie, CiscoH, BenD and Dfell for the "likes" - it's great to receive the encouragement. Richard
  7. Now to try and find out where all the remaining deadeyes need to be located before attempting the shrouds. The drawings are not much help!
  8. Yards done. Anyone have any ideas about the treatment of the yards? I am inclined to stain them with walnut stain then finish with clear matt varnish but would welcome suggestions about the yards and Masts.
  9. This is the current state of my build, now it's time to finish the yards.
  10. Made and assembled the masts, crosstrees and trestletrees etc. Really enjoyed this part of the build. Wondered why the woolding to the foremast was rope and the mainmast was iron but did it as per the instructions? The masts are not actually diverging, it looks like this in the photo due to parallax error. Tried rotating the first two photos every which way before loading but they always came out landscape!
  11. Not really happy with the tall stern windows and would welcome comments from other members. Also undecided how to finish the masts - whether to stain and varnish or just varnish. Undecided also whether to paint the yards, crosstrees and trestletrees areas black as per Nelsons Navy colours. I stained the main wale with dark walnut stain and am happy with the result but I like the look of the natural wood on the rest of the hull and was not planning to paint it, just clear varnish it. Again would welcome opinions on this. Bowsprit fitted after considerable puzzling over the drawings but think I got it about right.
  12. Thanks Reg and RB for your kind words and encouragement. Have been busy fitting footropes and blocks to the yards tonight and will put up some more photos soon. Richard
  13. Had many goes at fixing the deadeyes and strops to the straps. Tried copying the methods used by other builders without much success but one method described by "riverboat" in his build of "Supply", where he used solder gave me a clue. In the end I soldered them together but in a different way to riverboat. The first attempt resulted in a lumpy mess but fortunately solder is easy to melt off and redo. After a while they looked OK and after painting them with black metalwork paint I was reasonably happy with the result. I wanted to put on stern windows but looking at other builds was not sure they looked right, most looked cramped into the available space with the top corners cut off. Designed my own but still not entirely happy - may yet pull them off and redesign them.
  14. Deck planking completed, bulwark capping rails done. Deck fittings and chain plates completed.
  15. Thanks Mike - but I know where the flaws are! Thanks also to all the people that reacted to my build log - Dfell, PRS, RichardG, CiscoH, BenD, ccoyle, Bruce d. Thanks in particular to Dfell - I have been frequently using your super build of HM Brig Supply to assist with my build. Planking fitted to the inside of the bulwarks and started the deck planking .....
×
×
  • Create New...