I started this build a few months ago and having just joined this forum/site wondered if anyone would be interested in the progress so far.

I'm guessing that I'm around 2/3rds the way though it but I would be more than happy to post the progress history from buying the kit on a well known auction site, tracking it across the USA, the Atlantic and the UK and trying, with problem eyes and fingers, to build this beautiful fishing/racing schooner.

post-19616-0-04915400-1430838217_thumb.jpg

post-19616-0-94904200-1430838224_thumb.jpg

post-19616-0-37059700-1430838236_thumb.jpg

post-19616-0-34662800-1430838248_thumb.jpg

Looking good - you are at about the same stage as my Bluenose - Nice work ! Are you going to leave the area above the water line as is - I like it that way !

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Don . . . and firstly my apologies for not replying earlier as so many (too many) outdoor projects on the go and the weather has improved a little here in Cornwall.  As an aside . . . how's things all the way over there in Vancouver ?

My answer is YES, walnut with a button polish wipe over.  I have just ordered fine white waterline tape and am charging along on the spars, mast, winch and even the sailcloth.

Will post an update shortly

Take care

Jon

And so to sails.  These are the finished size templates . . . tomorrow off to the little village of Calstock by the Tamar to see if the little sewing shop there can turn my washed and ironed sailcloth into proper sails.  Here's a hoping.

Ordered fine white waterline striping today and some additional cotton thread

post-19616-0-51766600-1432054036_thumb.jpg

post-19616-0-48951900-1432054038_thumb.jpg

Edited by smileyjon

• 2 weeks later...

Hull is all but finished . . . just the naming and scrollwork stuff, oh and a half decent stand.

Then on to getting the masts stepped

I'm giving up on trying to post an image on this site . . . . any advice guys ?

Edited by smileyjon

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Jon,

looking great, your Bluenose! I like the combination of the anti-fouling red with the natural wood. Looks very handsome. I fear my Bluenose will be a lot darker ;-)

How did you make the mast hoops?

Thanks!

Fair winds and following seas,

Jan-Willem

current build: Billing Boats Bluenose "the anonymous schooner" (enhanced-bashed-scratched-whatever) in a scale between 1:55 and 1:69

• The title was changed to Bluenose by smileyjon - Model Shipways