• 1 month later...

Hello Blue nose . I recently posted almost the same question.on my "Providence" build .

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10774-sloop-providence-by-senior-ole-salt-148-scale-1776/

For now I'd like to know just what sort of binnacle was typical for a 18th century ship during the American revolution. The plans I have show a deck box and I assume engine controls probably a compass etc . Also where the ships bell might be.

It appears no one on this forum knows. So I'm thinking something like what the Privateer " Rattlesnake "will do. 

SOS

New Bedford Whaleboat build. Kit by Model Shipways

I've been making progress on my model and according to the instruction booklet I should be painting it, at least parts of it.

Are acrylic's ok ? I did apply a sanding sealer. but I want to stain the untreated floor boards which are walnut.

Thanks

S.O.S.

It would most resemble a piece of furniture in that time frame.  Think of a dining room sideboard.  There would be compass(es) and a lamp.  A large one might have compartments for maps, the log line, that sort of thing.

SOS, there were not many 18th century ships with engine controls.

post-17589-0-89291600-1452216984.jpg

This one is made of wood and brass and lashed to the deck, to brass eyebolts.  You don't want any iron anywhere near the compasses.

N. B.:

If you don't get a quick answer, it may be that it was overtaken by a lot of other posts and nobody saw it, not that you are being ignored, or that nobody knows the answer.  I check usually two or three times a day and have no recollection of seeing bluenose2's post.

Edited by jbshan

jbshan

I'm well aware that engine controls didn't exist aboard 18th century ships. However aboard the reproduction of this vessel there were such a convenience. The plans I have were of the reproduction showing such controls . I intend that my model to be of the 18th century version ,John Paul Jones one of the Captains , that's why I posted that question. 

BTW Iron balls were placed on both sides of compasses to help in correction purposes.

Thanks for the image you posted..

S.O.S

New Bedford Whaleboat build. Kit by Model Shipways

I've been making progress on my model and according to the instruction booklet I should be painting it, at least parts of it.

Are acrylic's ok ? I did apply a sanding sealer. but I want to stain the untreated floor boards which are walnut.

Thanks

S.O.S.

There should be two devices besides the talker to communicate with the engine room, an Engine Order Telegraph which has the Shaft RPMs that are predetermined with standard engine orders, such as full ahead, all back emergency, etc.. To stay on station you need to fine tune the shaft  RPM's, there is a device, ' think we called it a shaft RPM counter', alongside the Engine Order Telegraph with knobs that control the dial on the bridge and repeats it in the engine room to fine tune shaft RPM's. All have bells and flags to alert the Throttle man. Some still had brass speaking tubes that ran to the engine room, a whistling cap was kept on each end so the whistle in that cap could be sounded from the other end of the tube by blowing into it when something needed to be said. Sound Powered phones were also constantly on a phone talkers heads. When all else failed, there were messengers. Little more complicated than the lanyard attached to the bell near the engineer on the ships whale boat, kind of neat hearing those bell signals that the coxswain used to control the engine.

jud

Forgot to mention the Gyro repeater that the helmsman normally steered from.

Edited by shiloh

Bluenose 2 - I would try looking at the 1:72 plastic/resin kit upgrade kits etc from the like of White Ensign or L'Arsenal or Hannants etc.  These suppliers produce PhotoEtch, resin, metal upgrade/up-detail kits/parts for many ship models in particular the steel-navy.

You might even get lucky and find a set specific to the ship you are doing; but. more likely you may have to get a bit here, a bit there.  I know for instance there are many parts for Flower class corvettes.

A google search on say "1:72 ship model detail parts" will get you pointed in the right direction.  It is then a matter of drilling down to find the scale/parts you need.  More specific searchs on ship class or name may be more fruitful.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)