Large size wooden models of guns.

Igor! Let me ask the first question: what tree is used for forms? My machines allow me to make any kind of work on metal and wood. Second question: axle sharpened separately from the barrels of guns? Thank you!

Edited by aviaamator

Castings when rammed up and poured do not hold sharp corners, inside or outside, as do machining s. Need some transition around the trunnions, and other objects cast in place with the gun, bearing surfaces such as trunnions were machined or trued in a separate operation. Those gun patterns look well done, just not ready for sand casting as most were done.

jud

Thank you for your comments. Guns will casting in soft silicone molds.

If you were casting a full size gun you probably would be using a green sand mold as was done originally. My post was only intended to address the cast in transition areas the original guns are required to have because of their casting methods, those fillets did add strength. Your model gun patterns would probably be more faithful to the original by including those transitions, even if your intended molding process will hold sharp corners, the guns you are modeling, did not have your casting options.

jud