Jump to content

Which use is this nice brass "glasses"? Some kind of gauge also?

Recommended Posts

My guess is that is a measuring tool. If you open it up and then touch one of the the openings to both sides of a material you can measure the thickness of that material by measuring the opening at the opposite end. Measuring the thickness of a ship's boat would be a good application for that tool.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Calipers.  I believe that the crossbar was used to fix the jaws after application to the unknown material, and then the opening was fitted to a set of feeler gauges, such as for automotive work (ignition contact points).


A much larger instrument of this sort is still used by woodturners, and for use with a planer.

Edited by Bob Blarney
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Create New...