How to Make a Fashion Piece?

The plans and instructions for Niagara are a little vague regarding the fashion piece at the stern. From the side it looks like it starts at the hand rail, goes down the edge of the transom then takes a little jaunt to cover the edge of the counter planks. From the stern it looks like it comes down from the rail and then turns in a bit. In other words it's not flat.

I'm wondering about the best way to make this part. Try to bend some strips? Carve/chisel out a thick piece of wood? Something simpler that I am not thinking of?

post-22218-0-24957500-1464809826.jpg

post-22218-0-78308600-1464809837.jpg

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

Carve, chisel and shape.  I used I think two pieces glued at the sharpest corner.  Rough shape it, try it, refine the shape, try it, and so on.  The sides probably don't match totally so make them individually.  Where you have your red line is about right for length.

Here's a pic:

post-17589-0-97416400-1464812912_thumb.jpg

That's a big help Joel. Does it wrap around over the transom in the back? In the pic it looks like it is thickest at the top and gets thinner towards the bottom?

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

It is only on the side, doesn't come over the transom at all, covers the plank ends, as I think you said.

It's about the same thickness until it makes the turn.  Look straight from the back and it should match the callout on sheet 3, bottom left.

I hope the dust helps see the shape.  :o

I hope the dust helps see the shape.  :o

The problem with a dark color. The black hull is killing me! Any and every thing shows on it. Even body oil from hands/arms. This evening I started wrapping it in a towel while applying masking tape. I need some velvet gloves.

Thanks for the feedback. I think I have enough to give it a try now. One more thing that I just couldn't visualize.