Victorian Racing Cutter Vanity by M.R.Field - scale 1:16 - Radio

Well, lovely weather today, so I dragged Vanity out and had a crack at her mast and spars. I'd already made these parts, but a while back I stole the mast to make the handle for my model aeroplane field box that I made. So, another main mast was called for and I found a nice straight grained piece of fine pine at B&Q's. Used my sweet new disc sander that my dear bride bought me for Dad's Day and tapered the foot of the mast till it fitted closely in the step. Then, having made the bowsprit ages ago, I decided to fit the bitts in the deck for holding the inboard end. I'd also already made the strapping irons for the bow support of the bowsprit, so I drilled the hull and epoxied those in after making a suitable hole in the bulwarks with that most useful of tools the drum sander. Finally, drilled the side of the hull for the chain plates and epoxied those in. Photos with the deck furniture just balanced in place for now. Now, time for tea.

DSCI0111.jpg

DSCI0112.jpg

DSCI0113.jpg

Earlier builds:-M.V. Peterna- sand barge made from a Galipoli landings Galeas (first commission)

Miss America X, 1/8th scale-scratchbuilt

Baby Horace III, 1/8th scale-     "

Miss Britain III, 1/12th scale-     "

Riva Aquarama Specials x 2, 1/12th scale-scratchbuilt

Lapstrake Freebody electric canoe, 1/12th scale-"

Albatross speedboat, 1/6th scale, all aluminium, "

Current builds:-

The shot from the bow really shows how extremely narrow this yacht was. She looks very nice in the daylight.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Thanks, Michael, she's slowly getting there, but I only have weekends and then only if the weather's good which it hasn't been lately much.

Martin

Earlier builds:-M.V. Peterna- sand barge made from a Galipoli landings Galeas (first commission)

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Martin.  While idly thumbing through old copies of The Boatman I came across these lines of a modern reproduction of the Bloodhound originally built by William Fife in 1874.  It reminded me of your lovely model and they are definitely from the same stable.  According to the article the rules at the time penalised beam so the narrow designs were to avoid handicap penalties.

I'm looking forward to your next update.

Regards

Colin

DSC_0002.JPG

Hi Colin,

yes that is very much from the same mould as Vanity.  Just a little earlier and perhaps a little smaller.

The model has a few more bits on her now, but progress is slow.  I have been trying to join a new model flying club as I left the previous one because they were too divided and were not taking training seriously, but the last minute the new one decided to leave it until next year!.  So I may be getting rather more done on Vanity now.

Cheers,

Martin