US Brig Syren by Jason - Model Shipways - 1:64

WOW!  It's been a long time since I have posted any of my own work!  

So, like the post above says, a lot has happened in the last year around here.  We moved, had a child, started a business, and bought a house among other things.  Working on models has been a thing that I very much want to do, but the time to do it is very limited. 

However, I have started to get the shipyard chugging along just a little bit.  In the Syren camp, after looking at my model on the shelf for a couple of months I decided I needed to go backwards before I could go forwards.  There were a couple of things that were really starting to bother me about the model as it stood.  One, the height of the bulwarks in the bow was not a smooth symmetrical curve.  The port side was higher than starboard, and it had an awkward run to it.  Off it went!  While I was at that, I decided that since I have all of this great wood in my shop, it would be a shame not to use some of it in my own work.  The perfect place to start was the deck.  I didn't really have anything against the deck, but why not replace it with some holly?

post-1453-0-00017300-1442972481_thumb.jpg

After that work was done, I pulled the Britannia metal decoration off of the transom, and re-hung it in the correct attitude.  Next I was on to making gun port lids, which are now made from Castello boxwood.  

post-1453-0-08803100-1442972453_thumb.jpg

The holly that I used for the deck is what I call second grade holly, which has grey streaks running through it.  I find that when it is cut and mixed up on a deck, it looks to my eye like a deck that has been in use for a few years.  You still get gleams of white, but there are stains and dark areas too.  I like the overall effect.  I have yet to redo the tree nails.

post-1453-0-65718600-1442972515_thumb.jpg

post-1453-0-42220900-1442972521_thumb.jpg

This work was done a few months ago.  Since then I have been working on some other small projects that increase my skill in small areas.  I hope to return to this model by the end of the year, but only time will tell.

Your improvements look great! I really like your Holly deck! Very nice color and execution. And don't feel bad about your time problem - I guess a lot of our fellow model builders in this forum have a similar problem. At least I know for sure that I do :) 

Thomas 

Current Built:   Model Shipways  Syren  (US Brig 1803)

Last Built:        Anfora (kit bashed)  Ictineo II  (1st steam powered submarine 1864)

• 4 months later...

Hey Jason.  Looks like you have a great build going.

Good to see you have time for some modeling.

Cheers.

Ken

NO PIRACY 4 ME! (SUPPORTING CHUCKS' IDEA)

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Pilot Boat Mary of Norfolk

Completed Builds:

Continental Boat Providence   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Continental Ship Independence  (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Rattlesnake   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Armed Virginia Sloop  (from Completed Gallery)

Fair American (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build Log)

MemberShip Model Society of New Jersey

Nautical Research Guild