Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

1 Follower

About KenW

  • Birthday 05/16/1945

Profile Information

  • Gender
  • Location
    Brooklyn, NY

Recent Profile Visitors

1,453 profile views
  1. It’s taken me awhile, but I’ve added the rudder pendents and six aft swivels. I’ve spent more than a week carving out the anchors (I can’t use the kit provided die cast anchors since they are too big). So I just need to install the anchors and the two remaining swivels; and then I need to make the ensign. I also made a pawl for the windlass. Almost there.
  2. Thanks Bob, Mark and E.J. for your kind comments. I enjoyed working on the ship, and it's not done yet. Cheers.
  3. I’ve finished the rigging of the model. I’m not totally pleased with the way it came out because the shrouds and back stays are so loose. I only hope that when the weather turns dryer the lines tighten up a bit. Included are many rope coils to give that finished look. The fore and main bits are especially crowded. The remaining posts for the swivel guns were also glued in place. That means all that is left to do is install the rudder pendants, anchor, swivel guns and ensign. So the end is in sight. Some more photos -
  4. Both both models look great. Please bring them both to our next meeting. BTW - There is an editing feature on an iPhone. You can adjust the color if need be. Cheers.
  5. Big Thanks to JerseyCity Frankie for this photo of a furled gaff topsail. I guess my efforts aren't too far off base. I still think I can make my furl neater. Thanks again Frankie.
  6. I’ve been working on the two remaining sails: the gaff topsail and the main topmast staysail. I made both sails and started by attaching the staysail to the main topmast stay and then attempting to furl it. I couldn’t get a furled sail that looked reasonable. However, I read in Darcy Lever’s , “The Young Sea Officer’s Sheet Anchor”, that the staysail was either brought down to the foremast and made into a bundle that was stored on the top. Or, it is taken down and stored below. My boat doesn’t have a top and my bundle looked horrible so I decided to store the sail below deck. I left the halyard hooked to the stay block and considered the problem solved. I wanted the gaff topsail, however, to be furled and seen. The furled bundle is nowhere as bad as the staysail, but … I do know that I need to replace the gaskets; and I may consider adding a silkspan covering, if I can, to make the bundle look more appealing. Any suggestions would be welcome.
  7. The fore topmast yard and sail were installed without too much trouble. The shrouds were also added as well as the fore topmast stay and back stay. One thing I noticed is that the way I’m tying off the rigging is very similar to the rigging plan that came with the kit. The differences are that I’ve given all the stays and fore topmast yard lifts the ability to be adjusted. I believe this was done on all ships. One thing the rigging plan, and my rigging, have in common is that the fore bit is becoming very crowded. I’m going to have a major task when I glue and trim all those lines and then add rope coils to that bit. The deck looks very messy now, but I hope to change that soon.
  8. Since the last entry I’ve added the furled fore staysail and the jib. Both were made from silkspan as described earlier and the furling was based on previous research. I think the ‘look’ is good. The mainstay was added but not finished or tied off. Also, I decided to use footlopes or ‘horses’ rather than the netting that came with the original kit. Somehow the net didn’t look right to me. I made netting, so if I’m challenged, I can always change my mind. I’m constantly changing the rigging plans from the kit to be more in line with my limited experience and research. As a result, the boat looks less and less like the kit’s instructions and photos. I hope I haven’t created a boat that is completely different from what existed at the time. Next up is the fore topmast yard and sail. I feel I'm getting closer to the end.
  9. Good photos. I feel like I’m walking below decks. Of course that means the model-making is excellent as well.
  10. Why are all of you posting your conversations in my blog that was completed 4-5 years ago? Abelson please start your own blog. Thanks.
  11. Abelson: Do you have a question? I haven't looked at this blog in 3-4 years. I'll try to remember, or I tell you more answers based on my current research. Thanks.
  12. Glad to see you started a log. Looks like you got off to. A great start. Cheers.

About us

Modelshipworld - Advancing Ship Modeling through Research

SSL Secured

Your security is important for us so this Website is SSL-Secured

NRG Mailing Address

Nautical Research Guild
237 South Lincoln Street
Westmont IL, 60559-1917

About the NRG

If you enjoy building ship models that are historically accurate as well as beautiful, then The Nautical Research Guild (NRG) is just right for you.

The Guild is a non-profit educational organization whose mission is to “Advance Ship Modeling Through Research”. We provide support to our members in their efforts to raise the quality of their model ships.

The Nautical Research Guild has published our world-renowned quarterly magazine, The Nautical Research Journal, since 1955. The pages of the Journal are full of articles by accomplished ship modelers who show you how they create those exquisite details on their models, and by maritime historians who show you the correct details to build. The Journal is available in both print and digital editions. Go to the NRG web site (www.thenrg.org) to download a complimentary digital copy of the Journal. The NRG also publishes plan sets, books and compilations of back issues of the Journal and the former Ships in Scale and Model Ship Builder magazines.

Our Emblem

Modelshipworld - Advancing Ship Modeling through Research
  • Create New...