Mercury Glues

First, a happy, healthy and peaceful new year to all.

i just tried my first bottle of Mercury Brand ca glue (medium). The glue itself works as well as any other glue I've used.

What sets it apart is the material used for the closuer...it works "incredibly" well!!! I used the entire bottle and never had any clogs, etc. They offer the basic range of products plus epoxy and have a website for more info...Moab

Completed Builds:

Virginia Armed Sloop...Model Shipways

Ranger...Corel

Louise Steam Launch...Constructo

Hansa Kogge...Dusek

Yankee Hero...BlueJacket

Spray...BlueJacket

26’ Long Boat...Model Shipways

Under Construction:

Emma C. Berry...Model Shipways

12 hours ago, Y.T. said:

For me all CA (Cyanoacrylate) glues are evil. I cannot use them as they smear everything all over the place for me. I do not use them for modeling anymore. Too much trouble for nothing.

Hmm, were you applying the CA glue straight from bottle?  That can certainly create problems.  Instead, try putting a dot of glue on a card, and then use  a plastic toothpick as an applicator.  A tiny amount can be placed by using the sharp end, and slightly more with the brush end.  Also, select an appropriate viscosity, and maybe try an accelerant.  As always, develop new techniques on scrap material first.

15 hours ago, Y.T. said:

For me all CA (Cyanoacrylate) glues are evil. I cannot use them as they smear everything all over the place for me. I do not use them for modeling anymore. Too much trouble for nothing.

Oh well, how do you glue metal to wood? Based on your experience, please give me a concrete example.

11 hours ago, Y.T. said:

I use 2 parts epoxy glue only - clean, sets in a few minutes, very strong.

Thank you sir, I don´t like super glues either. Only, mixing two part epoxies is also a messy job. Suites better for larger parts imo.

Epoxy is a fairly new idea. I wonder what they used before, say 300 years ago? Another story.

Edited by andante
Typo.

Can't say I disagree with anything above. I use Titebond whenever possible but I guess too often I want to get things done more quickly.

A couple of suggestions which I know have been mentioned elsewhere:

I use a sewing needle with the top cut off and the other end placed in a short dowel so it looks like  a pencil. I dip the needle into a small container of  

ca and carefully place the glue where I want it. I think a toothpick can also be used.

No matter how careful I am some ca always ends up where it's not wanted. I've found that if I carefully place some debonder on the ca and let it work   

into the nasty ca it will soften and can often be scrapped off.

But in the end I admit ca can be evil evil stuff.

Completed Builds:

Virginia Armed Sloop...Model Shipways

Ranger...Corel

Louise Steam Launch...Constructo

Hansa Kogge...Dusek

Yankee Hero...BlueJacket

Spray...BlueJacket

26’ Long Boat...Model Shipways

Under Construction:

Emma C. Berry...Model Shipways

On the other hand I use CA for almost everything and have no problems with it. I recommend you apply CA in dots instead of spreading it to keep it neat, this also increases its open time by an order of magnitude over trying to smear it over the surface of a joint. If any squeezes out you used too much.