Rudder Chains (pendants?, preventers?)

I've seen a number of models incorporating rudder chains, meant, I suppose, to retain the rudder if it becomes unshipped. Is (was) this a common, even universal practice?

Few models I've seen actually DO have them. What is or was the actual practice historically, geographically, in their use? What wold be a reasonable size for these and how were they attached?

Brian

go BLUES!!!!!

"Give you joy!"

Current Build: RATTLESNAKE 1:64 POB (Mamoli)

Kits on hand: "Lexington", Mamoli: "Robert E. Lee", Scientific

Scratch to do: "Fannie Dugan", 1870s Sidewheeler Steamboat

Hi, Brian! The wheel feather in addition fastened to the case chains or ropes in order that not to lose it at damage of loops (for example, in fight at kernel hit).

Best regards,

Garward

Is under construction Montanes

Ready models Golden Star Corsair San Francisco II

Bronze 24-pdr canone Le Fleuron

Bronze 24-pdr canone Le Fleuron (second version)

Brian, here's how I tackled it on my Snake.  I'm not representing that this is 100% accurate but I was please with how it turned out.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/509-hms-snake-by-beef-wellington-caldercraft-scale-1-64-first-wooden-ship-build/?p=31018

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Brian, here's how I tackled it on my Snake.  I'm not representing that this is 100% accurate but I was please with how it turned out.

Yes! I've seen it and others from searching around. You should be pleased; it looks great.

Brian

"Give you joy!"

Loss of a rudder was a very serious circumstance. Usually chains were attached to (hopefully) retrieve it if it were to become unshipped. Many models omit this feature, or the hooks to which the chain is looped out of the way to. The hooks were attached to the tuck rail. Of course, many other features of the actual ship are often absent from models as well, such as the rudder coat over the helm port.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

The schooner I sail on in the real world has "Rudder Straps" which are 1/4" steel cables port and starboard on the top of the end of the rudder that run inboard at the stern and are not in use when we are underway but when we put the boat to bed at night we move the rudder amidships then belay the rudder straps. This prevents the rudder from being flapped back and forth by the wakes of passing ships or the tide or whatever and prevents wear and tear. It also keeps the wheel from suddenly spinning while at the dock. I once saw a person get their shin banged awful hard by the wheel suddenly turning three spokes when a wake hit the ship

Niagara USS Constitution 

To the best of my knowledge rudder chains were fairly universal, As was previously noted it would have been terribly inconvenient to have the rudder unshipped in a storm and losing it completely. The pic I had of the  rudder chain on my model of the Santisima Trinidad is a double loop, rather fancy but the Dons always did go for embellishment.

I think that there was another use for these chains, as on ships like the Victory and others, these chains were obviously meant to replace the rudder mechanism should this be broken..  Then the chains could be manoeuvred from the deck.

Also to be noted is that in the 18th century (at least) the rudder was prevented to be dislodged by a simple system of a wooden block.

Also, the Dutch Whaler (17th century) I am building does not show any chains at all.  But at least two models of Dutch ships of around that time show corresponding holes in the stern post and the rudder.  On one of them (dated 1730) there is a chain passing through these holes, to the same effect as the preventer chains.  On the other model only the holes can be seen. Well detailed paintings of similar ships clearly omit the chains.  I therefore think that they w<ere not as universal as one may think.

Also to be noted is that in the 18th century (at least) the rudder was prevented to be dislodged by a simple system of a wooden block.

Yes, I think I saw one in one of the scratch builds. Don't recall which.

"Give you joy!"

Yes, I think I saw one in one of the scratch builds. Don't recall which.

I think Danvad just installed these on his Vulture build.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

I agree with Jean Pierre. The picture below shows two chains that are attached to an extension of the rudder. This looks like more than just a way to save and retrieve a damaged rudder. It is another way to steer.

post-246-0-49569500-1368303269.jpg

Jay

Current build Cross Section USS Constitution  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10120-cross-section-forward-area-of-the-uss-constitution/

Finished USS Constitution:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/103-uss-constitution-by-modeler12/

'A picture is worth a  . . . . .'      More is better . . . .

"Give you joy!"

I'd recently aquired a copy of Seamanship in the Age of Sail by John Harland. Haven't had time to get deep into it yet, but thumbing through, I just happened to find this method of using the chains for steering. I'm sure there are other riggings possible.

post-289-0-77627300-1368816700_thumb.jpg

With my Rattlesnake not using a wheel that might have its rigging damaged, I wonder if it might just be chocked, rather than having chains available.

Cheers,

Brian

"Give you joy!"

• 2 weeks later...

I had installed them on my 1:64th bounty, they are connected to the rudder and run into holes just under the transom counter. I never knew what they were for until now, thanks

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard