Micrometer set screw for Proxxon FKS/E table saw

When working with my present project, I needed very accurate planks with even height. First I tried to set the fence of my Proxxon saw manually, but it is very frustrating to have it set within a few hundreds of a millimeter.
So i decided to make this small gadget to simplify the setting. The only thing what was needed was to mill two pieces of aluminium, and cut threads into them for set screw and locking screw. The thread of set screw is M6x1, so that one revolution extends the screw with one millimeter. The head of the screw has 10 divisions so that one division represents 0,1 mm movement. The set screw only pushes the fence, it is not threaded into it, which makes it easy to remove the gadget after the fence is set. With this equipment i can now easily adjust the width of planks in about 0,05 mm accuracy.  

20190227_080417.thumb.jpg.3d414fd813ccc66d18d6d4c23cab15de.jpg20190227_080547.thumb.jpg.38ece23be01700fba874a0130327465a.jpg

Edited by Moxis

That's an effective solution.  If you needed even finer control, perhaps a mechanism with differential threading would offer finer adjustment. 

An alternative to a fine screw mechanism would be to use parallel (aka folding) wedges with a long taper as an auxiliaryary fence.  A taper of 1:10 would allow that 1.0 mm displacement in the fore-aft direction produces a 0.1 mm displacement in the larboard to starboard direction.  Although it may be very difficult to cut them to a perfect taper, one can use a digital caliper or indicator to set the adjustment.

You can see an example if you do a Google search for "Bridge City Tools S-26 Sliding Parallel" .  This item is no longer available and does not appear on their list of 'Legacy Tools'.  

Edited by Bob Blarney

10 hours ago, Bob Blarney said:

That's an effective solution.  If you needed even finer control, perhaps a mechanism with differential threading would offer finer adjustment. 

That's true. First I thought to use M5x0.5 thread which would have given forward movement of 0.5 mm with one revolution. But then I thought it to be an overkill for what I needed. After all they are wooden planks which we are producing. A change of air moisture or temperature would have more effect on plank dimensions.