Jump to content

HMS Endeavour's Captain Longboat by horschtl - Artesania Latina - 1:50 - First ship builda


Recommended Posts

Well, as threatened in my introduction i will post my first building log. First picture is taken several hours past the beginning. I removed the bulkheads from the frame with a scalpel nr.3. This was easy and only a little filing was needed at the connecting points, because the thin scalpel cut very accurate. One little error in the provided laminated wood was that it was delaminated at one point of the frame. Two parts were affected. The deck in the aft and one base of the thwarts were affected. The deck could be repaired by putting some white glue on a toothpick and distribute it inside. As that base of the thwarts is only 7 mm wide it cracked even more in the process. I repaired it with a splint about half as wide as the base so it should not be visible.

 The fit of the bulkheads was pretty good out of the box. After dry-fitting, I saw that deck was slightly too long at the aft, but it took only a little sanding. The first frame and the last frame needed a little adjustment to be in one plane with the rest. I discovered this only after fitting the base of the thwarts in addition to frames and deck. After everything seemed to fit squarely, I glued it together.

20190330_212340.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I subsequently added the supplied filler block fore at the stem and stern as well as the deck fore and aft and the bulwarks.

After that I soaked the first planks in water and begun sanding down the filler blocks fore and aft. After reading a bit in other logs, I inserted additional filler blocks cut out from the frame of the ship parts, because I didn’t have such thin wood (except beech, which I didn’t want to sand down) and was to lazy to set up the table saw. (By order of the high lords of the admiralty I’m not allowed to use the saw inside due to the dust, which is not completely collected from the industrial vacuum cleaner I attach to the saw).

20190401_133002.jpg

 

20190403_142634.jpg

Edited by horschtl
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wasn't idle the last couple of days. I finished the first layer of planking. Going along was like driving a race car over a field track. But I got there. I think I tampered to early, as I started tempering at the second plank from the wale. After looking at it with all planks attached, I decided to use a layer of filler over the hole hull and sand it down. This was not necessary everywhere, but I figured it can't hurt either and it will cover every bump. It took about an hour of sanding, but now I'm quite pleased with the result. I will start with the second layer later today. I already tried it out without glue and it seemed to me that those much thinner planks will be much easier to bend. We'll see.

 

20190417_114451.jpg

20190417_205315.jpg

20190418_120853.jpg

20190418_120935.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi,

during the holidays I moved along. I finished the second planking and inserted the floor as well as the thwarts. Although I read Rick01s’ building log for his Endeavour longboat, I decided to follow the manual and not Ricks suggestion to do steps in the order 8, 11, 9, 10. This was a bad decision. For anyone building this model, do it in the way Rick suggests…It worked out nevertheless, but it would be much easier the other way around. The third picture shows my vice. It should, in theory, adapt to the next builds. We'll see. Picture 4 shows 1mm drills, which I used as distance template between the floor tiles. The last one showed the current state of the boat. The gunwale should be colored with asphalt and resolvent. Surprisingly, I was in short supply of asphalt. Instead I used a mixture of black and brown acrylic color. This worked perfectly. As a side question, do you use asphalt?

20190419_211247.jpg

20190419_211301.jpg

20190422_163826.jpg20190422_183256.jpg20190424_204818.jpg

Edited by horschtl
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, horschtl said:

I decided to follow the manual and not Ricks suggestion to do steps in the order 8, 11, 9, 10. This was a bad decision. For anyone building this model, do it in the way Rick suggests…It worked out nevertheless, but it would be much easier the other way around

I'm having a quiet giggle at this - we always hope others will learn from our mistakes but not always 😉. I was spitting chips fitting those thwarts!!

 

Rick

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...