I recently was asked about a page I had posted in a member's build log,  concerning planking.   when I first began building wooden ships,  the fellow that got me started gave me a huge stack of 'ships in scale and scale ship modeler magazines dating way back.  included was a few other books and booklets pertaining to ship modeling,  by Richard Mansir.   one in particular seems to stand out....a planking booklet by Richard.   I forget the member,  but he was in a bind with his planking, and I posted the page to help him out.......the booklet was published in 1982.  recently,  I was PM'd by Tom G asking where he could get a copy.  as I told him,  I'm sure that the book is long out of print.......I gave him the address and the ISBN number of the book.   he found a site that it can be down loaded for free:

LINK DELETED BY MODERATORS.  The link was to a web site that posted books for free download - this book is still under copyright and there is no documentation that the copyright holder has provided permission for it to be posted.  The web site's statement - "assumption that whoever posts has checked for permission" is not adequate to allow links to this web site here on MSW.

I found this to be a very useful booklet.  in 16 pages,  it covers simple planking and scale planking,  although I sorta disagree about his scale planking rule.  I think it all depends on how small a scale the modeler wants to build his ship........the old adage:  where there's a will,  there's a way ;)   it also has a small glossary in the back outlining planking and hull terms.   it's a great booklet for the beginner modeler.

Edited by kurtvd19
deleted link

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch