HMS TERROR by RickyGene - OcCre - 1:65 - 1845 Expedition

This will be my 1st time building a OcCer kit.  I am well pleased with the kit and the detail as provided by OcCer.  As with any build one is striving to learn knew skills and methods of construction.  It has been quite awhile since I built a POF kit.  But I have retired and have plenty of time on my hands to build.  I have several large kits stored away but, I did not want to jump back in with a build taking years to complete.  I also am a sucker for anything with History.   I had already watched the AMC mini-series and this past Spring stumbled across Mattew Betts Blog on the HMS Terror.  Then I saw the available kit and just had to have a go.  So this shall my attempt at building what was considered at the time, one of two, most advanced ships in the World.  You see, she was the fore runner to what we now call a Ice Breaker.

In 1845, Commanded by Sir John A. Franklin and accompanied by the HMS Erebus, these ships embarked on the quest to navigate the Northwest Passage.  They were the 1st ships fitted out with Steam Engines.  Literally Steam Locomotives adopted as a engine to power the vessel during waning winds.  The vessels were stocked with supplies for a 3 year voyage.  The HMS Terror was adopted from a Bomb Ketch that fired/shelled Ft McHenry, the inspiration for our National Anthem the Star Spangled Banner.  These ships/crews never completed the task, look at it this way.  What they were trying to do was tantamount to our sending Man to the Moon.   So as you can see, there is a lot of History behind this powerfully built vessel.  On the 26th September 2016, 168 years after her disappearance, the HMS Terror was discovered.  Nothing about where the missing crewman has been discovered as of yet.  I don't know about you, but I love a good mystery. 

I also recommend you Google and read Mattew Betts Blog.  Much to glean and his plans were used to design the OcCre kit.

So into the breech we go.

Rick

HMSTerrorThrownUpByIce.jpg

Neophyte Shipwright

Wisdom:  When all else fails, read the instructions!

Here are drawings of Mattew Betts, HMS Terror.  You can clearly see how this vessel was selected for this refit for the duty of Artic Exploration.

HMS Terror 1845 Lines and Outboard Profile final (Medium).jpg

HMS Terror 1845 Upper Deck Plan (Medium).jpg

Edited by RickyGene

Neophyte Shipwright

'HOORAY' 😊 that's another 'HMS Terror', on the way.                                                                                                                                                                                           I will be sitting in the front seat to follow along as she is big and brutal ship.                                                                                                                                                   Good luck forward and enjoy.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             kier

Saving for: HMS Vanguard...Victory models.

finished: Bluenose11...Billing Boats... (sorry no log.

4 hours ago, kier said:

'HOORAY' 😊 that's another 'HMS Terror', on the way.                                                                                                                                                                                           I will be sitting in the front seat to follow along as she is big and brutal ship.                                                                                                                                                   Good luck forward and enjoy.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             kier

Thank you kier, I hope to do her justice.  I have deviated from the recommended order of construction on the frame.  I like to attach the FK/Ribs/Deck all at the same time.  For me this seems to rid the issue of alignment, rib to deck.  Keeps everything nice and straight/level.  I can not find my down load cord for the camera today?  Senior moments, you gotta luv'em.  But will load up some photos as soon as I can.  The next thing is adding the planking to the deck.  The instructions or whatever you want to call the Videos, would have you apply the planking to the false deck before installing.

Well as I have already said, that won't be.  FD is glued to frame.  And the pattern is correct as shown, but the plank sizes are not.  The center board is made up of 3ft wide boards and the angled herringbone pattern is 2ft wide.  I will go with this instead of all planking representing 3ft wide boards. 

HMS Terror Deck.jpg

Neophyte Shipwright

I do again have a nagging question about that anchor chain.  You will notice as I have there are no drawings that show what was used on the vessel for the raising/lowering the anchors.  But, you do notice a windless and a capstan, of which pardon my ignorance, but were these not used for hauling in and out rope?

j1409_f029a655-ba89-4080-972d-f22f4c9a27fd_600x.jpg

Edited by RickyGene

Neophyte Shipwright

In response of your question in regard of the capstan and chains, I myself have only known a capstan for the use of rope only,. you now have my mind ticking as to weather one or the other maybe perhaps both. I will try to find out, but if I can't find the answer maybe some other shipmate looking in on your they can possibly help.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            kier

HI Ricky, in response of the so called deck chains, rope and capstan . As we all know what a capstan is and what it's used for which is of course powered by sailors.

I was anle to find out that the capstan is not only used for hauling heavy ropes but also for hauling heavy objects such as anchors. weather HMS Terror had chains to be used with the capstan for her I do not know. also I am unknown of her other ship which accompanied her on her on her arctic expedition HMS Erubus. 

so Ricky I am a bit stuck with being able    to help despite looking at other build logs including scratch built. Sorry🙁                                                                                                                                                                            kier.

1 hour ago, Jim Rogers said:

Pictures of the Charles W Morgan show chain being lifted by the forward windlass.

Yes, I too found photos showing anchor chain wound around the windless.  The windless appears to be made with the pawls to grip and wind the chain around the drum head.  Did not see a capstan, but that does not mean it is not there.  So now I know a windless is used for hauling in the anchor chain of a vessel.  So since the chain is part of the kit, and there was chain on the deck of the mini-series as designed my the same guy that OcCer used his drawings.  Chain it is.   Thank you Jim,

Neophyte Shipwright

49 minutes ago, kier said:

HI Ricky, in response of the so called deck chains, rope and capstan . As we all know what a capstan is and what it's used for which is of course powered by sailors.

I was anle to find out that the capstan is not only used for hauling heavy ropes but also for hauling heavy objects such as anchors. weather HMS Terror had chains to be used with the capstan for her I do not know. also I am unknown of her other ship which accompanied her on her on her arctic expedition HMS Erubus. 

so Ricky I am a bit stuck with being able    to help despite looking at other build logs including scratch built. Sorry🙁                                                                                                                                                                            kier.

Oh please do not be sorry sir.  You and Jim have took the time to help.  That is more important than the question.  Thank you kier and if ever I can be of help.

Rick

Neophyte Shipwright

Ok, enough about anchor chains.  Now another dilemma...….you ready for this.  When the HMS Terror was located and divers photographed the deck, look what the camera showed.  Two cannon barrels!!!!!!!  Now there is a print of the bow/deck area I have found and look what is at the front of the ship.   

1411527886449.jpg

HMS Terror Deck.jpg

Neophyte Shipwright

Have the frame/ribs/false deck glued up.  Starting to glue up the decking.  One of the things I do not like is the decking material does not run the length of the deck.  So one must cut each plank 60mm, I use a pencil to color one side of the plank and one end.  Then glue to deck.  This takes a lot of time, but pays off in the end.  The angled planks need to be cut down a tad to rep 2' wide planks, not too sure if I will do this since it too would entail a lot of time.  I still can not find the down load cord to my camera, so tomorrow,  a trip to Wallie World to buy a cheap one and finally put some build photos up...….hoora

Neophyte Shipwright