Gammoning Slot - Opinions Wanted

I have just started working on a build of the Mamoli/Dusek Rattlesnake, and hope to start a build log soon.

I am working on fabricating a built up stem/keel assembly beyond what the kit provides.

I have other plans  than those provided by Mamoli.

I have the Harold Hahn plans from an article in the NRG Journal.  I also have the Admiralty drawings from the NMM, and then I have the plans from ModelExpo which are based on drawings by George F. Campbell, which were based on the drawings from the NMM..

NMMStem.jpg.907442e4dac4a5c261b217f96162f576.jpg

The NMM drawings do not show the gammoning slot.. 

For no particular good reason I was using the Hahn drawings to fabricate my stem, which pretty much matches the NMM and the Campbell/ModelExpo drawings as far as they go.

798887088_HahnStem.jpg.2f9386c52692ddc4f6869828ef1a8216.jpg

A questionable interpretation is how Hahn depicts the gammoning slot.

So, my question is; wouldn't that piece that includes the gammoning slot in the Hahn drawing be wrong? 

It seems to me that the stresses involved for this structure would not make for a workable configuration as drawn by Hahn.

When all is said and done, that joint is not ( readily ) visible on a complete model with the head rails in place.

823264356_HahnModel.jpg.6aca1e07f4e09674580015d14f69a1d2.jpg

But my question remains:  Would that separate piece, not be a realistic working design?

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

The gammoning slot is lower than you show on your drawing. It is definitely never on the standard; the strain would tend to pull that piece up. The only hole in the standard is close to the stem, and it is for the main stay collar. The slot will be between the head timbers below the upper cheek. It is probably located  between head timbers 2 and 3. This will necessitate modifying the trail board design. (The original draftsman was obviously not a fine artist!) If you are not already aware, fine craftsman that Hahn was, much on his models is stylized.

The actual construction of the knee of the head, standard and extension piece (omitted entirely by Hahn) is shown in several books, including Goodwin and Antscherl.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

My only question in a roundabout way, was if Hahn was in error for drawing it this way?  Apparently he was..

Thanks for your detailed and informative  ..reply...

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon