Wooden decking kit for Academy Warspite

bigcreekdad

I usually have two model ships going at one time. In the past they have all been of wood, both from kits and semi scratch. Having been a WW II naval buff for years, I decided to build a plastic warship. Given the steep tradition, I chose a British ship, the Warspite, and have purchased the academy kit. Rather than try to paint the deck, I would like to use a wooden deck kit for this ship.

Any advice, suggestions, pros/cons of specific products would be awesome.

• 2 months later...

I have built several plastic model ships and I have never used any of the ‘wooden’ deck kits. To my mind they are too bright, too out-of-scale and too brown/yellow. If you consider a wooden deck would weather and be washed down ending up a very pale greenish, greyish brown. Also remember some warships had their wooden decks covered or painted, so check you references carefully. You also need to consider ‘scale effect’ which means that a models colour will be less intense than in 1 to 1 scale.

• 2 months later...

I use to be in that line of thinking Alan in the past mainly that they were to thick and they were in the beginning but they are paper thin now.I have used the Pontos in the past are quite nice and save a tone of time to the painting.I painted one ship the Graf Spee using three different color all a variant of the original spray original(1) on the whole decking area make color (2) from (1) now the PIA part cut thin strips of tape (100/200)  that represent planks and randomly place on the deck spray (2).The next step make (3) from (2) rinse and repeat part II.I then peeled up all the strips and sprayed (1) ever so thin a mist over the whole deck to blend.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

• 2 weeks later...

I have used the Artwox decks - twice - once for the HMS Cossack ( 1/350 ) for the Ships Bridge

and the much larger set for HMS Repulse - and both wood decks were stunning - well worth the effort of buying and fitting them 

I agree that Pontos ( of South Korea ) are very good indeed

I also note that several wood decks are now made by new Chinese Companies advertised on Ebay - but I have no idea how good they are .

My advice is to buy a really good manufacturer of them and choose one which gives you a free Metal Anchor Chain ( Artwox does ) as well