San Francisco II by sire_eris - Artesania Latina - scale 1:90

Next part in the kit that was really ugly was the top plattforms (how do you call them in English correctly? In German the "Mars") of fore and main mast. So I made some own completely from scratch, trying to rebuild them as close as possible to the ugly die cast part. Was quite a process cutting and fitting all the small delicate parts together. I'm quite happy with the result :D Last pictures show the testwise mounted platform not attached yet.

Another comment to artesania latina's die cast parts: they are ****! The top plattforms die cast parts not even showing the holes you need for attaching the upper shrouds. If you would forget to drill them as the instructions do not say anything about it, you would be fucked up having to deal with it if already mounted on the mast... As well as drilling holes in such die cast parts of a complexity of that top plattform is not the wood modeler's main ability nor will it end up very precise...

DSCN0593.jpg.45e6a32e2fbcf4a72d5982ebe6480b6c.jpg

DSCN0594.jpg.48ec327bb4eabcd1384cf1c31ae9a685.jpg

DSCN0595.jpg.17441a320b27895e1162cfe17c2ba70e.jpg

DSCN0590.jpg.3fa68db6ed9c99a5429dce76ddfc2917.jpg

DSCN0589.jpg.4d6e7be57788efae8dcabe4b9b197308.jpg

Edited by sire_eris

18 hours ago, DARIVS ARCHITECTVS said:

Your wood top looks SO MUCH better than the cast one!  Gute Arbeit!

The tops in my Artesania Latina SF II are laser cut wood.  It must be a different version of the kit.

Thanks! Looks like Artesania did change some parts quite frequently. My instruction says the deck gratings are included in die cast but wood was included to build them, the bow grating should be included as die cast part as well but there was nothing at all in the box... I previously built the SF2 cross section and there was also a top of laser cut wood included. My ship is the old version of the SFII (single planked), so probably the older kits contain (or should contain) more die cast parts than newer ones? Anyway, AL is out of business which is a bit sad, I liked the kits and a lot of the parts are also very well made and of good quality. The included 5mm planks were good mahagony and the sails are pretty nice I think. They look handmade and are of good detail.

• 1 month later...

I am building the San Francisco from Artesania.  This is the first ship I have built and got it about 15 years ago.  I started it but put it asid and am now back to it.  I find the instructions and photos to be somewhat lacking and if one is not sure about how ships are put together a lot of reseach is required, which I have done.  This site and the people who have built the SF have been immensely helpful. So, thanks to all! I have two die cast pieces - the grate for the bow and the small life boat.  the rest is all wood.  Most of it is pretty good, however, a couple of pieces broke while cutting them out - the braces for the gallery.  So, I have to refabricate them.  I am now doing the deadeyes that fit into the channels on the sides of the ships and have found that the wire in the kit is too thin. So I found some small gauge wire I had laying around the house, stripped the insulation off, painted it black and put it around the deadeyes.  I aslo used black chain from my wife's jewlery projects.  Just the right size!  One of the biggest problems I have had is with the rudder attachments.  2 of them broke, so I had a piece of copper laying around and used that to cut out attachments similar to the original ones.  I liked the brass, but will paint mine black.  Thanks again for posting pictures and descriptions!

• 1 year later...

As I haven't worked on the ship for quite a while, respectively only did some stuff during some short periods, it took some time for the next post here... Recently I picked up work and now am trying to finish the build. The rigging is something complete new for me and a lot new stuff and techniques to learn. So I have quite some respect regarding all that work - also stuff can be broken easily now when working on the model 🙄

As there was some space on the deck and I thought this detail is missing in the kit, I built a scratch capstan:

DSCN0599.jpg.0ad8dccef82981bdbb4c90a5c4f538c7.jpg

DSCN0604.jpg.bcebd6ea065e2ed85074d79cf661ec04.jpg

So far all worked well. Even served the part of the stays which go around the masts with thin rope, including a "mouse". Took me quite a while to figure out how to do that and had to build a serving machine for that, which I rebuilt by looking at the serving machine offered by Syren model (thanks guy for putting the assembly instruction online!).DSCN0677.jpg.8d57292e0a40dec73e64a0a8775b4c62.jpgDSCN0679.jpg.5ffd15c3d232e0007ef8da2a1740cb79.jpg