I have a few questions on the first planking. ,, Why is it necessary ?. This kit has Lime wood as the first planking. It is light yellow color. If it showed through the 2nd planking in gaps, why is it yellow and not the same color as the final planking ?.

Is there a picture of a cradle , vise to hold the hull while working on it. I can probably make one, need ideas.  What is the one using foam noodles and dowel ?.

I can make a holding pad with a sleeve and cat litter ( unused :-)  ).

I noticed there was a tip on using a variable control for the plank bending tool?.

I've printed off some of the tutorials and have the videos saved for later. Just want to get as much prepped as I can before I start building.

Thank you all for help and tips.  Harv.

Ist planking is simply to provide an underlayment for 2nd planking. Most kits utilize the 2-planking method, though some don't. In kits that do, getting the correct hull dimensions is contingent upon using both layers. "Limewood" is the European term for basswood, which you can get at most any hobby shop if you run short. Gaps in the 1st planking can be filled with wood filler and sanded before you start the 2nd layer. Cradles are a matter of preference. I always planked hulls while holding them in my lap. Some modelers use keel clamps or building boards; try whatever you think you'd like best.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Plus it is far easier to get a nice, correct hull with no gaps etc. when using double planking. As Chris said, the first planking layer is

merely a foundation for your final layer. The first planking layer is when you find out any rises, that need to be sanded back, or

troughs, that need filling. The visual look, color, of the first layer is irrelevant. Its the contours of it that are important. The whole

first planking layer will be covered by the final second layer. The better you do the first layer, the better the second layer, and 

overall look of the model will be..

Cheers

Chris