HM Cutter Sherbourne by Oddball - Caldercraft - 1:64

20 minutes ago, ccoyle said:

Wow. I can remember when I built this kit (twenty years ago now) that I had some variation in the cannon heights relative to the bulwarks, but at least all of them pointed through the gunports. You've got quite a discrepancy there, and I'm not sure how that might have happened. It does look like you applied the pattern strips at the correct height, i.e. level with the tops of the bulkhead extensions.

Come to think of it, though, your deck planks look overly thick. Are you using the correct strips? Deck strips are usually pretty thin. Those look like they may be first planking strips?

I feel stupid now,the planks I'd used were indeed first planking strips which are 0.5mm thicker than the decking planks and that coupled with the thin card I'd used as backing was enough to throw it off kilter.

Thanks for your keen eye CC you've at least spared my blushes with Caldercraft.🥺

I agree with Chris on the planking, on my Sherbourne deck planking was 0.5mm although even with thinner decking it looks as though the barrel would still catch the port lintol.  It's hard to tell from the photo but the gun does look a tad oversized. It wouldn't do any harm to try thinner decking. 

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

I think you have the wrong size cannon. It doesn't look like a 3-pounder to me, and the Sherbourne was said to carry 3-pounders. Yours seems much too large. The carriage length should be 14.3mm for a real 3-pounder at 1:64, and the gun barrel length 26.8mm. I can't remember the kit gun sizes, but the kit barrel lengths were for a 3.5 pounder gun at scale. Perhaps you could measure the gun barrel length, the height of the assembled gun from the ground and the length of the carriage.

I compared the sizes in my build log. You can see the final gun build with a full discussion and comparison on Page 6 at

I attach the real plans for an Armstrong 3-pounder.

ARMSTRONG 3 POUNDER S1.PDF

ARMSTRONG 3 POUNDER S2.PDF

Tony

5 minutes ago, tkay11 said:

The carriage length should be 14.3mm for a real 3-pounder at 1:64, and the gun barrel length 26.8mm

I just did quick measure of my guns on Sherbourne and the barrel is 27mm and the carriage 16mm,  so on Tony's calculations if yours are the same they are a bit oversized. 

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

1 hour ago, Edwardkenway said:

I just did quick measure of my guns on Sherbourne and the barrel is 27mm and the carriage 16mm,  so on Tony's calculations if yours are the same they are a bit oversized. 

Yeah mine are the same dimensions but all sorted now.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to look and suggest solutions.👍

Well I've started the second planking and have now decided to go down the route of using CA for initial contact at tip of plank and then wood glue for the rest.Gives opportunity for adjustment and less messy ( for me ). It's also not a race to finish and take it slow and steady should produce a better result.

Once again learning so much on this first build.

IMG_20200223_101743.jpg