Preussen by Ian_Grant - Heller - 1/150 - PLASTIC

Thanks for responses guys, seems we agree that using ca on rigging works for you too. I shall continue certainly at this scale 1:150!

I haven’t made a log for my build of Pamir as there seems little point in repeating much of what you, Ian, have already recorded.

What I propose to do is to report things that don’t seem to have been said before. Don’t want to waste people’s time!

I’ve been a big windjammer enthusiast since seeing Pamir and Passat off the coast near my home in Cornwall in the late 1940s. Ever since I have collected a library of books on the subject and have grabbed every opportunity possible to go on board square riggers over the years.
Surely the most impressive were Krusenstern ex Padua and Sedov ex Magdalene Vincent during visits to Falmouth for the Tall Ships races. Cutty Sark has been visited many times though I have to say by ‘love’ has always been for the Laeisz P ships.

One of my normal oblique comments....haven't read the entire blog, so may have missed this detail:- I'm pretty certain this ship would have wire shrouds? Much stronger than natural fibers, so not so many required and they are thinner in diameter.

By the way, if folk are using photographs of 'Victory' to judge the visual scale weight, the shroud cordage is now of modern self coloured synthetic material and is thinner than it should be (mainly due to thicker stuff being simply unavailable).

10 minutes ago, Dave Stick said:

Thanks for responses guys, seems we agree that using ca on rigging works for you too. I shall continue certainly at this scale 1:150!

I haven’t made a log for my build of Pamir as there seems little point in repeating much of what you, Ian, have already recorded.

What I propose to do is to report things that don’t seem to have been said before. Don’t want to waste people’s time!

I’ve been a big windjammer enthusiast since seeing Pamir and Passat off the coast near my home in Cornwall in the late 1940s. Ever since I have collected a library of books on the subject and have grabbed every opportunity possible to go on board square riggers over the years.
Surely the most impressive were Krusenstern ex Padua and Sedov ex Magdalene Vincent during visits to Falmouth for the Tall Ships races. Cutty Sark has been visited many times though I have to say by ‘love’ has always been for the Laeisz P ships.

Dave, if you want to see an impressive ship, check out "Royal Clipper" which is a modern 5-master inspired by Preussen, and which offers cruises in the Med or Caribbean. I mentioned early in this log that we took a week's cruise aboard her. Awesome!! 

(I have no association with Star Clippers).

2020_02_21_0016A.JPG.82b424364b3f5bf140dd09e1a1eb7e3f.JPG

2020_02_20_0028A.JPG.d991571198b5decffbfe241b5e3f6197.JPG

Yes, I read your earlier Ian. She is a beauty and I filmed her when she came into Fowey last year.

As I said earlier I’m lucky to live here on the south coast just above the lovely little harbour of Charlestown. It is still inhabited by some beautiful big ex trading ketches, one of which I have modelled as a plank on frame ship and is about 18” long.

Until a few years ago our little harbour was the home of the film company Square Sail and included 3 windjammers all less than 1000tons.

The supporting maintenance facilities gave me endless enjoyment as it included sail makers, mast and spar shops and all the associated rigging facilities. Sadly, the company closed and the ships were sold and left for ports up country.

Having completed the ketch I’m also building a plank on frame topsail schooner, though I have to admit that work has been stopped for several months.

Back to Pamir and assembling the masts and yards. Jack stays bare a real fiddle but nearly all on!

• The title was changed to Preussen by Ian_Grant - Heller - 1/150 - PLASTIC